Best subjects to study fusion plasma by.

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's desire to switch careers and pursue a graduate degree in plasma fusion. They have been following and researching this topic for years and are considering a PhD or Master's program in Applied Physics. They also mention their background in Computational Physics and ask for advice on the best path to take and what undergraduate courses would be beneficial. The conversation also mentions a government reference and a talk on Computational Fusion for further information. The speaker also mentions the importance of courses in electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, quantum or nuclear physics, and plasma physics. They also note the potential relevance of courses in electrical power engineering, heat transfer, and materials science. Finally, they suggest reaching out to specific programs for accurate information and highlight the importance
Caolan
Hello,

I have been doing software engineering for over 20 years and I feel like it's time for a change before I get too ancient. I have been following and reading about plasma fusion for a number of years now and I would like to study this and be able to do some research in either a Ph.D program (thinking U.Washington [because I live in Puget Sound) or U. Wisconsin), or a Master's program on Applied Physics and work on actual reactors

I would like to leverage my skills in Computational Physics as well. I don't know if there's a need for that.

Can anyone who has been in the industry, or Academic studies of this subject, offer any advice on what path would be the best for the current needs? Also, what specific undergraduate studies should I take (other than electromagnetics) that would benefit me the most towards achieving the goal.

Thanks!
-Caolan.

Physics news on Phys.org
There really aren't many fusion reactors around, and none of them really "work" in the sense of generating energy efficiently afaik.

You may want to look into the National Ignition Facility which does some work in the area I believe.

Generally speaking based on surveys of various programmes as a result of my own interest in the area, the following seem to be generally useful:

Electromagnetism, as you mentioned, this probably is one of the most important ones. Additionally; Fluid Mechanics, Complex Variables, some Quantum or Nuclear Physics may be useful depending on exactly what area you're looking at. Maybe partial differential equations. Also a general course on plasma physics, which probably has some or all of these as prerequisites, might be helpful to ensure you're interested and committed. You'd probably normally take this in the course of your grad work though. You might be able to take complex variables or nuclear physics in your grad work.

From an energy generation stand point some understanding of electrical power engineering and/or heat transfer might be helpful. From a fusion materials point of view some background in materials science is probably useful. An upper division optics/photonics/lasers course might be interesting with regards to ignition mechanisms.

Beyond these, standard minimum undergrad prep; basic physics, maths and maybe some chemistry. Which is to say, physics through modern physics, maths through vector calculus and differential equations (linear algebra would be helpful but as long as you're good with general matrix algebra formal LA isn't so essential). Most gen chem sequences I think cover some aspects of nuclear chemistry which is relevant, but you probably don't need detailed knowledge on this to start out.

Do keep in mind, I'm not actually a student in this area, just a (potentially) prospective student having looked through various programmes and such. For the most accurate information you're best off contacting the relevant programmes and asking.

You could probably use your computational skills well as there's quite a lot of computational modelling involved as I gather.

Likes Caolan

1. What is fusion plasma and why is it important to study?

Fusion plasma is a state of matter that occurs when the temperature and pressure of a gas are so high that the atoms break apart into ions and electrons. It is important to study because it is the key to achieving sustainable fusion energy, which has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy for the world.

2. What are the best subjects to study fusion plasma?

The best subjects to study fusion plasma include plasma physics, nuclear physics, engineering, and materials science. It is also important to have a strong understanding of mathematics and computer programming.

3. What challenges are faced in studying fusion plasma?

Some of the main challenges in studying fusion plasma include creating and maintaining the extreme conditions necessary for fusion to occur, controlling and confining the plasma, and developing materials that can withstand the high temperatures and radiation produced by fusion reactions.

4. How can studying fusion plasma benefit society?

Studying fusion plasma can benefit society in a number of ways. It can lead to the development of a clean and sustainable source of energy, reducing our reliance on fossil fuels. It can also contribute to advancements in materials science, electronics, and other fields. Additionally, studying fusion plasma can deepen our understanding of the universe and the fundamental forces that govern it.

5. What are some current research efforts in the field of fusion plasma?

Current research efforts in fusion plasma include building and testing new fusion reactors, such as ITER and the National Ignition Facility, developing advanced materials for fusion reactors, and studying the behavior of plasma instabilities and turbulence. There is also ongoing research into alternative fusion concepts, such as magnetic confinement fusion and laser-driven fusion.