1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coursework that will best prepare for fusion physics

1. Sep 25, 2015 #1
    Hello All,

I am a junior physics undergraduate and I am looking at graduate programs in physics. My field of interest is fusion physics (plasma physics, nuclear fusion and the like). Due to balancing obligations outside of school with my classes, I will be limited in the number of upper level classes I can take. The advise that I am looking for would be in which of the available upper level classes would give the best preparation for a graduate program in fusion physics. Of those of you with knowledge/experience in the plasma/fusion physics realm, which of the following classes would be best suited for studying fusion physics? Any response would be greatly appreciated.

- Nuclei and Elementary Particles
    - Advanced Electricity and Magnetism
    - Advanced Quantum Mechanics
    - Electronics
    - Solid State

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Electricity and magnetism are necessary for understanding plasmas.
    Nuclear physics is useful for the actual fusion processes but probably not that important for applications.
    Quantum mechanics is something every physicist should know up to some level. It helps understanding everything else.
    Electronics can be useful if you want to help design experiments. Many experiments need electronics in some way.
    Solid state physics: Could be interesting for the plasma chamber walls. It is also highly relevant for superconductors but I guess those are bought from elsewhere.

4. Sep 26, 2015 #3
    Thanks for your insight, mfb. If you could recommend one above all of the others, which would you recommend?

5. Sep 26, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't know what "Advanced XXX" covers and what earlier courses had, so it's hard to pick one.

Probably quantum mechanics.

6. Sep 26, 2015 #5
    Thank, mfb. I don't have course descriptions for those 5 classes, and I wouldn't ask you to read and sift through them if I did.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook