Best undergraduate electromagnetics textbook

In summary, the person is looking for a textbook that would cover topics in a general undergraduate electromagnetics course, and they are mostly interested in topics such as gauge invariance, Lorenz gauge, retarded potentials, Hertz diapole, Poynting vector, wave equation, derivation of Kichhoffs diffraction integrals, Fresnel and Fraunhofer diffraction, optical intensity, lenses as phase shifters, planar metallic waveguide, waveguide dispersion, dielectrics and boundary conditions, planar dielectric waveguide, optical fibres, and Harrington and Balanis.
ksnaz12
Hi I am looking for a textbook that covers most of the topics in a general undergraduate electromagnetics course. It would be great if the topics below are covered. I don't mind getting a few but would like to find a good explanation of these topics. thanks

Gauge invariance
Lorenz gauge
Greens functions
Retarded potentials
Hertz diapole
Poynting vector
Wave equation
derivation of Kichhoffs diffraction integrals
Fresnel and Fraunhofer diffractionOptical intensity
Lenses as phase shifters
Planar metallic waveguide
waveguide dispersion
dielectrics and boundary conditions
planar dielectric waveguide
optical fibres

Physics news on Phys.org
The best book I know of for concentrating on the areas you listed is probably something like "Classical Electromagnetic Radiation" (I think) by Marion, later editions I think are Marion and Heald. We used it in the late 70's for the 2nd semester of an undergrad EMAG course. I do not think the same textbook is as good for the first semester. Griffith is standard, and I own a copy but I do not like his style. I know he encourages, thinking, and even presents problems where he says "little math required." I think he gives the (false) impression that with enough intutition, you can always get by without doing a lot of math.

Likes vanhees71, ksnaz12 and jasonRF
Thanks everyone I will have a look into all of them :)

Likes atyy

1. What is the best textbook for learning electromagnetics at the undergraduate level?

The best textbook for learning electromagnetics at the undergraduate level is subjective and may vary depending on individual learning styles and preferences. However, some popular choices among students and professors include "Engineering Electromagnetics" by William H. Hayt Jr. and John A. Buck, "Electromagnetics for Engineers" by Fawwaz T. Ulaby, and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths.

2. What makes a good undergraduate electromagnetics textbook?

A good undergraduate electromagnetics textbook should have clear and concise explanations of concepts, plenty of examples and practice problems, and a focus on real-world applications. It should also have a good balance between theory and practical applications, and be written in a style that is easy to understand for students with varying levels of background knowledge.

3. Are there any free online resources for learning electromagnetics?

Yes, there are many free online resources for learning electromagnetics, including lecture notes, video lectures, and practice problems. Some popular websites for electromagnetics include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and NPTEL Online Courses.

4. Do I need a strong background in math to understand electromagnetics?

Yes, a strong background in math is necessary to understand electromagnetics. Concepts such as vector calculus, differential equations, and complex numbers are essential in electromagnetics. It is recommended to have a solid understanding of these mathematical concepts before diving into electromagnetics.

5. Can I self-study electromagnetics with just a textbook?

While a textbook can be a valuable resource for self-studying electromagnetics, it is recommended to also supplement your learning with other resources such as lecture notes, online videos, and practice problems. It may also be helpful to join a study group or seek guidance from a professor or tutor to ensure a thorough understanding of the material.