Best Undergraduate Introductory book to Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the availability and differences between various editions of the textbooks "Physics" by Resnick, Krane, and Halliday. The conversation also touches on the reasons for new editions and the potential differences in content and difficulty. It is recommended to stick with the first or second edition of these textbooks for the best understanding and learning experience.
Mugwump101
I read a post a while back about getting Physics by Resnick, Krane and Halliday 1st or 2nd Edition but I can't find the first and second edition online. I can only find the fourth edition and the fifth edition. Which one should I buy? Which one is better in terms of explanations, proofs, calculus based problems and really understanding/learning physics.

Thanks! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Textbook editions are mostly the same textbook, typically new editions just fix typo's / rearrange things. So basically it's just a way for a publisher to keep making money.

Feldoh said:
Textbook editions are mostly the same textbook, typically new editions just fix typo's / rearrange things. So basically it's just a way for a publisher to keep making money.

Very true statement.

In general, the only reason to get the newest edition of a text is if you will be doing problems out of it for a class. Older editions often have different problems, or they are renumbered in such a way that makes finding problem 4.13 difficult or impossible. For subject matter such as introductory physics, both mechanics and e&m, these obviously haven't changed much in 10, 20, even 50 years. So older editions of the books are just fine for self study.

For something like cosmology, though, which has changed radically in the past ten years, newer editions of texts are markedly different.

The great mathwonk always said that the 1st (or 2nd) edition is usually the best edition(s) of a textbook, because it is written the way the author actually envisioned it to be.

The subsequent editions, most of the time, are watered-down, in order to accomomodate a wider variety of audience.

That being said, I have the 5th edition of HRK's Physics, and I think it's just fine for an introductory course.

Well as far as I know, Stewarts has always been a typical not-very-rigorous textbook. Spivak usually fixes some typos, and the fourth edition might actually present the concept of limit in a more logical order. I don't think Halliday and Resnick has changed much at all, but then again I learned most of my physics from Giancoli (which is not calculus based but it didn't matter much to me). Also, I wouldn't buy a new edition just because the problems are renumbered (or some have been added) unless you don't feel like knowing anybody who is also taking the particular class or something like that (or you are self-studying, in which case google books might work).

Mugwump101 said:
I read a post a while back about getting Physics by Resnick, Krane and Halliday 1st or 2nd Edition but I can't find the first and second edition online. I can only find the fourth edition and the fifth edition. Which one should I buy? Which one is better in terms of explanations, proofs, calculus based problems and really understanding/learning physics.

Thanks! :D

I think there are about 8 editions of "Fundamental of Physics" by Halliday, Walker and Resnick. However there are much less editions of "Physics" by Resnick, Halliday and Krane. This is probably the one you're looking for.

The FOP book by Jearl Walker is the watered down version of the original physics texts by Halliday and Resnick. I suggest you don't get that one.

What is the best undergraduate introductory book to Physics?

The best undergraduate introductory book to Physics is subjective and varies depending on individual learning styles and preferences. However, some popular options include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett.

What criteria should I consider when choosing an undergraduate introductory book to Physics?

When choosing an undergraduate introductory book to Physics, consider the level of depth and complexity you are comfortable with, the style of writing and presentation, the inclusion of real-world examples and applications, and if the book aligns with the curriculum of your course or institution.

Are there any free online resources for undergraduate introductory Physics?

Yes, there are many free online resources for undergraduate introductory Physics, such as lecture notes, video lectures, practice problems, and interactive simulations. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and HyperPhysics.

Do I need to have a strong math background to understand an undergraduate introductory book to Physics?

A strong math background is essential for understanding and applying the concepts in an undergraduate introductory book to Physics. It is recommended to have a solid foundation in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry, as well as some knowledge of calculus.

Can I use an older edition of an undergraduate introductory book to Physics?

While it is always recommended to use the latest edition of a textbook, using an older edition of an undergraduate introductory book to Physics can still be beneficial. However, make sure to cross-reference the content with the current edition to ensure you are not missing any important updates or changes.