Best upper division Math for an EE major

In summary, the speaker has recently changed their major from Math to EE and is interested in taking additional math courses to complete a minor. However, their university does not allow double majors or multiple minors. They are interested in Control Theory, Signals, and Information Theory and are seeking advice on which courses to prioritize. The offered math courses include Real Analysis, Advance Probability and Stats, Numerical Analysis, Intro Proof, Complex Analysis, PDE's, and Advanced Linear Algebra. The speaker plans to attend grad school in EE and agrees that courses 3, 5, and 7 would be beneficial. They also suggest learning Fourier and Laplace transforms, possibly through an introductory control theory or communications theory class. They mention that PDE's often have
TheKracken5
So I just changed my major from Math to EE this semester and I really would like to continue taking some math. I have completed the entire Calc 1-3, LA, DEQ's, and a intro stats course. I only need 1 more course for a math minor. (intro proofs won't count for this though). My university doesn't allow double majors or more than one minor, but I can take a few extra math courses if I would like.

I am interested in Control Theory, Signals, and Information theory. Which courses should I prioritize? My uni has a small ABET EE program and a small math program, so most semesters EE courses will prevent me from taking math courses, hence I would like to prioritize.

Courses Offered:

1. Real Analysis I&II
2. Advance Probability and Stats/Bayesian I&II
3. Numerical Analysis I&II
4. Intro Proof (needed for Real Analysis)
5. Complex Analysis
6. PDE's
7. Advanced Linear Algebra (only offered this next fall)
I do plan to go to grad school in EE.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree on 3, 5, 7. Also, look into learning Fourier and Laplace transforms inside out, so find out what course (if any) covers those topics. Usually, an introductory control theory or communications theory class will cover enough, but transforms are crucial to studying signals and systems and it may not hurt to learn them as part of a "mathematical methods for engineers"-type course if available.

I forgot 6 also... pde's usually have an intro to the Fourier transform.

What is the best upper division math course for an EE major?

The best upper division math course for an EE major is Linear Algebra. It is a foundational course that is essential for understanding advanced topics in electrical engineering, such as signal processing and control theory.

What skills will I learn in Linear Algebra that are useful for an EE major?

In Linear Algebra, you will learn how to solve systems of linear equations, perform matrix operations, and understand vector spaces. These skills are crucial for analyzing electrical circuits and systems in EE.

Are there any other math courses that are important for an EE major?

Yes, Calculus is also a crucial course for EE majors. It introduces important concepts such as derivatives and integrals, which are used in the analysis and design of electrical systems.

Can I take other math courses in addition to Linear Algebra and Calculus?

Yes, there are other math courses that can be beneficial for an EE major, such as Differential Equations and Probability. These courses provide a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts that are applicable in various areas of EE.

Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to be successful in EE?

While a strong foundation in math is important for EE, it is not the only factor for success. Other skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and hands-on experience are also crucial for an EE career. However, a good understanding of math will greatly benefit an EE major in their academic and professional journey.