Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best way for a layman to get up to speed on cosmology outside of school

1. Jan 2, 2008 #1
    I got as far as Calc 2 in college, took some college physics and read lots of popular cosmology books. What if I want to get technical now? What specific math do I need to know to fast track it without learning things that are irrelevant? It's too late to go back to school now.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Have a look at Lineweaver Inflation and the CMB

it has equations, but they are easy equations
    the graphs and figures are really helpful.
    a lot of things are explained in a clear mathematical way without the math being especially hard
    start playing around with the java cosmology calculators at Ned Wright's site and also
    the one at Morgan's site that converts redshift to recession speed.
    when you start with it, put in three standard parameters
    matter density 0.27
    Lambda density 0.73
    Hubble parameter 71

To find Ned Wright's cosmology calculators, just google Ned Wright

Here is a basic SciAm cosmoogy article by Lineweaver NOT technical (so not what you asked for) but valuable anyway
    Misconceptions about the Big Bang.

Here are the class materials links for a Princeton General Astronomy course, see if anything there is useful

FOR GENERAL RELATIVITY there is Sean Carroll's online textbook at the LivingReviews site. I can't personally recommend but people do use it as a textbook and he's a talented expository writer.

this is just a start. Other people will have other suggestions, I hope. I'll be interested to see what the others recommend.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?