Best way for someone to get volunteer/leadership experience post-grad

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hercuflea
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Experience
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Hercuflea
Messages
593
Reaction score
49
Hi guys,

I am graduating with a math degree and I'm looking to get some leadership experience the summer after graduation in order to beef up my application for a fellowship I'm planning to apply to. Any ideas on how to do this? I'm looking to be not "just another hand" but someone who actually has influence on people and leaves an impact.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to volunteer for stuff - and you will be expected to pay your dues as "just another hand" before you get leadership roles as a volunteer or an intern. So you basically already have to have had experience with what you are volunteering for.

The only way to get right into leadership is by knowing the boss. You do this by networking, doing volunteer work for people you are related to, or by setting up your own organization so you are the boss.

I suppose you could buy your way in - but that would be "knowing the boss".
Similarly - if you schmoozed the professors and got to be an assistant looking after a project.