1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best way for someone to get volunteer/leadership experience post-grad

1. Mar 22, 2014 #1
    Hi guys,

I am graduating with a math degree and I'm looking to get some leadership experience the summer after graduation in order to beef up my application for a fellowship I'm planning to apply to. Any ideas on how to do this? I'm looking to be not "just another hand" but someone who actually has influence on people and leaves an impact.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have to volunteer for stuff - and you will be expected to pay your dues as "just another hand" before you get leadership roles as a volunteer or an intern. So you basically already have to have had experience with what you are volunteering for.

The only way to get right into leadership is by knowing the boss. You do this by networking, doing volunteer work for people you are related to, or by setting up your own organization so you are the boss.

I suppose you could buy your way in - but that would be "knowing the boss".
    Similarly - if you schmoozed the professors and got to be an assistant looking after a project.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook