Best Way to Study Quantum Mechanics (QM)

• Thread starter 1220Student
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm Study
In summary, the conversation is about studying Quantum mechanics and the best way to approach the subject. Some recommendations are given, including using a good textbook and making sure to understand the math involved. It is suggested to start with Griffiths' Quantum Mechanics book and then move on to more advanced texts like Cohen-Tannoudji's book. There is also a mention of using practice exams and websites for additional help. The book by Richard Liboff is mentioned as being required for a class, but there is a desire to know if it is a good book from other perspectives.
1220Student
Hi all,

I'm studying Quantum mechanics and there seems to be a lot of conceptual concepts involved. Some of it can be a bit dry and I find myself getting easily distracted.

What is the best way to study such a subject?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which textbook are you using?

Modern Physics 2nd ed by Randy Harris.

Any recommendations about how to study QM would be greatly appreciated from all the guru's out there.

Thanks

Use a good textbook.
I like
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471164321/?tag=pfamazon01-20
(even though I didn't learn from it initially, but after knowing basic QM that book seemed good to me) Don't miss that book, but possibly for the very start someone might recommend another one?

Make sure you know all the Maths! Otherwise people will make fun of you, because you will babble b%!$ß!7. Because QM is about Maths only and plain word explanations are misleading. Don't even try to imagine what's going on (at first).
Don't be afraid if QM doesn't seem to fit in the way you pictured physics before. Forget that a particle has both a position and a velocity. There is no such thing as a wave-particle duality. A particle is neither. It's a mathematical wave-function.

After you know undergrad QM a bit, I recommend
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0387989293/?tag=pfamazon01-20
There you have nice pictures and video and you can learn whether you've grasped the theory correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay.

Thanks for the recommendations.

The internet has a lot of practice exams/ websites that I could use. Is there any out there that could help me?

Cohen-Tannoudji is a good book, but it might be a bit heavy for a first time reading. I would suggest that you get started with Griffiths' Quantum Mechanics book, and work your way through all the problems. Oh, and do read the preface before you begin reading the book.

Oh, that's what I guessed. Cohen might be heavy for a start. It just would be a bit frustrating at the beginning. But once you've worked through an introductory book and now really want to understand what you've just learned, don't miss it.

Gerenuk said:
Oh, that's what I guessed. Cohen might be heavy for a start. It just would be a bit frustrating at the beginning. But once you've worked through an introductory book and now really want to understand what you've just learned, don't miss it.

Absolutely. Cohen is a must-read later.

Anyone use Introductory QM by Richard Liboff? Its the book required for the class but I would like to know if its a good one by standards other than my professor's.

Related to Best Way to Study Quantum Mechanics (QM)

1. What is the best way to approach studying Quantum Mechanics?

The best way to approach studying Quantum Mechanics is to start with a strong foundation in classical mechanics and mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. It is also important to have a good understanding of classical electromagnetism and thermodynamics. Once you have a strong understanding of these concepts, you can begin studying the principles and mathematics of quantum mechanics.

2. How much time should I dedicate to studying Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a complex and challenging subject, so it is important to dedicate a significant amount of time to studying it. It is recommended to spend at least 3-4 hours per day, 5-6 days per week, on studying quantum mechanics. This will allow you to thoroughly understand the concepts and work through practice problems.

3. What resources are available for studying Quantum Mechanics?

There are many resources available for studying Quantum Mechanics, including textbooks, online courses, lectures, and practice problems. Some recommended textbooks include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths and "Quantum Mechanics: Principles and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili. Online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare also offer free lectures and practice problems.

4. How can I improve my understanding of Quantum Mechanics?

To improve your understanding of Quantum Mechanics, it is important to actively engage with the material. This includes working through practice problems, discussing the concepts with peers or a mentor, and seeking clarification when needed. It can also be helpful to approach the subject from different perspectives, such as through visualizations or simulations.

5. What are some common challenges when studying Quantum Mechanics?

Some common challenges when studying Quantum Mechanics include the abstract and counterintuitive nature of the subject, the complex mathematics involved, and the need to constantly review and build upon previous concepts. It is important to be patient and persistent, and to seek help when needed. It can also be helpful to break down the material into smaller, manageable chunks and to practice regularly.