Best way to write formulae or equations ?

• Thread starter rollcast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulae
In summary, there is a debate over which method is better for solving maths and physics problems: working out the equation as you go along or arranging it into one expression and simplifying it. The second approach is preferred because it allows for the use of algebraic skills, reduces rounding errors, and makes it easier to check for correct units. It also helps with simplifying expressions and can earn partial credit from teachers.
rollcast
When I'm working out a maths or physics problem I always find myself questioning whether I should work out the equation as I go along or should I re arrange it and do it in one step with my calculator?

For example if I was to use the cosine rule for triangles,

a2=b2+c2-2bccosA

to solve a triangle for angle A with sides a, b and c as 20, 30 and 40 respectively.

Is this better written out as,

a2=b2+c2-2bccosA
202=302+402-2*30*40*cosA
400=900+1600-2400cosA
-2100=-2400cosA
7/8=cosA
A=cos-1(7/8)
A=29.0°(1D.P.)

or

a2=b2+c2-2bccosA
A=cos-1[itex]\left(\frac{b^{2}+c^{2}-a^{2}}{2bc}\right)[/itex]
A=cos-1[itex]\left(\frac{30^{2}+40^{2}-20^{2}}{2*30*40}\right)[/itex]
A=cos-1(7/8)
A=29.0(1D.P.)

Thanks
AL

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'd go with the second approach because arranging everything into an expression as a whole and simplifying it, then directly getting the result would be rather easy.

I prefer the latter, for several reasons:
1) it let's you use your algebraic skills
2) it gives fewer rounding errors, since you don't have intermediary results
3) if the values have units - e.g. in physics or even here (a, b, c are lengths) - you can easily check that the final units are correct before plugging in the numbers, more easily catching any errors.

For me, it usually depends on the calculator I'm using. If I'm forced to use one of the older calculators that can only use brackets and don't have the fancy displays to express a fraction as it looks on paper, then the brackets could quickly get out of hand and it leaves you more prone to making errors in that way, so I'd use your first approach in that case.

Also I've noticed that on my calculator with its fancy display, it tends to lag when a lot has been input into one display, so if it saves time, I'd make some quick and easy mental calculations to simplify things before entering it in, for example,

302+402=502
2*30*40=2*3*4*100=24*100=2400

Thanks guys,

In school when we where introduced to algebra we were taught to use the first method of solving various parts as we went along.

But now I'm finding with larger equations and larger numbers, irrational no.s that cannot be represented as a fraction, tat the first method is not easy and can be confusing and leads to longer solutions.

The problem for me mainly is that I have the longer method drummed into me so much that I automatically start using it to write out a solution. Although I am starting to use the 2nd method a lot now I'm doing statistics.

Thanks guys,

In school when we where introduced to algebra we were taught to use the first method of solving various parts as we went along.

But now I'm finding with larger equations and larger numbers, irrational no.s that cannot be represented as a fraction, tat the first method is not easy and can be confusing and leads to longer solutions.

The problem for me mainly is that I have the longer method drummed into me so much that I automatically start using it to write out a solution. Although I am starting to use the 2nd method a lot now I'm doing statistics.

A lot of questions in maths ask you to simplify an expression as much as possible. You can't do this with any legal calculators in class and the first method you showed doesn't help you get there either.
Use the second method as much as possible as practice for simplifying expressions, which is a really handy skill.

Also, your teacher will surely appreciate your not putting numbers in for the variables until the very end. If he is grading an exam or homework problem that is incorrect, he is not likely to punch in all the numbers himself to see where the mistake is. Looking at the algebra he might find that it is just some simple sign error and give you much partial credit. With a solution full of decimals and the wrong answer, just kiss the credit goodbye.

I'd prefer the second since the result can be easily reused for other numbers.

1. What are the basic components of a formula or equation?

The basic components of a formula or equation are variables, constants, and mathematical operators. Variables are represented by letters or symbols and can change in value. Constants are fixed values that do not change. Mathematical operators, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, are used to perform operations on variables and constants.

2. How do I properly format a formula or equation?

To properly format a formula or equation, use correct mathematical notation and follow the order of operations. Use parentheses to clarify the order of operations and to group terms together. Use proper spacing and alignment to make the formula or equation easier to read and understand.

3. Can I use symbols and abbreviations in my formula or equation?

Yes, you can use symbols and abbreviations in your formula or equation as long as they are clearly defined and consistent throughout the equation. Avoid using ambiguous or confusing symbols and make sure to explain any abbreviations used.

4. How can I check if my formula or equation is correct?

To check if your formula or equation is correct, you can use the rules of algebra to simplify and solve the equation. You can also plug in different values for the variables and see if the equation holds true. Another option is to use graphing or calculator tools to visualize the equation and its solutions.

5. Are there any tips for writing complex formulae or equations?

When writing complex formulae or equations, break them down into smaller, simpler parts and use clear notation to avoid confusion. Make sure to use proper grouping and order of operations. Additionally, double check your calculations and make sure all variables and constants are included and correctly represented in the formula or equation.