Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Better fill 'er up while the getting is good!

1. Nov 13, 2008 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Walking to lunch today, I passed a cluster of three gas stations, all advertising regular unleaded at $1.909 per gallon. :bugeye:

It doesn't seem all that long ago when I would have gone :bugeye: for the opposite reason.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2008 #2

Astronuc

Regular unleaded is now about $2.49 at the corner gas station just down the street from my house.

4. Nov 13, 2008 #3
    Assuming people can buy new cars these days (-_-)
    Anywho, I'm still getting around $2.29/gallon here in CA...

5. Nov 13, 2008 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's the equivalent of around $6.80 a gallon here in the UK. (That should stop you guys complaining!)

6. Nov 13, 2008 #5
    You know, I've always wondered about that, but was always too lazy to find out why... Geographically speaking you guys are much closer to the source... So I'm guessing OPEC has something to do about that..

[edit: unless one gallon in UK = 3 gallons in US... you and your silly metric system :tongue2:]

7. Nov 13, 2008 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

We just get taxed to high heaven!

In retrospect it's probably a bit less: we buy petrol in litres, and I converted into an Imperial gallon instead of a U.S gallon (you always have to steal our things and slightly change them, don't you!)

8. Nov 13, 2008 #7
    We didnt take the word petrol, you guys can have that.. =P

But I hear great things about the public transportation in Europe, so maybe that makes up for it.. It's a pain to live in the US without a car, what with everything so spread out.

9. Nov 13, 2008 #8

Evo

Gas is $1.69 a gallon here, a few cents less across the state line.

10. Nov 13, 2008 #9
    I'm not happy at all with the low gas prices. Its an early warning sign of a global depression.

I was listening to CSPAN radio. They were broadcasting a congressional hearing. The economists were like........this isnt good. Be worried.

11. Nov 13, 2008 #10
    Don't be such a Debbie Downer...

12. Nov 13, 2008 #11
    Yeah ok. Enjoy your cheap gas when everyone gets fired from their jobs and you don't have any money to buy the cheap gas.

13. Nov 13, 2008 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The price of crude has dropped by $84 a barrel - from $140 to $56, the last time I checked.

CNN reports that because of this dramatic drop, even T. Boone Pickens is backing away from his energy plan, which is terrible! At this price, natural gas can't compete with petro.

14. Nov 13, 2008 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A non-equilibrium low just as $140 was a non-equilibrium high.

Pickens was on the Daily Show, last night. Skip past the first two segments if you want to go directly to the Pickens interview.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/index.jhtml?episodeId=210170

15. Nov 13, 2008 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I tend to favor the idea of setting a floor for the price of gas. The offset could be used to build the new energy infrastructure. Otherwise we may well wait until we see $200 a barrel, and then panic. Petro alternatives have to be price competitive in order to get off the gound.

This would also help to alleviate concerns that oil suppliers will manipulate market prices to stall progress on alternatives.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  16. Nov 13, 2008 #15
    When it went below $2, actually, $1.989, I filled up even though I still had half a tank. I wanted to ensure that I bought at least some below that threshhold. I needn't have worried, now it's $1.939. I don't see less traffic though. I suppose the low price is a reflection of the reduced demand for industrial purposes. That's an encouraging sign.

17. Nov 13, 2008 #16
    I checked the air pressure in the tires of my vehicles and ruined the petroleum industry.:cry:

Is demand really down that much or are there other factors involved? The bad economy is a good launch point for big oil to sucker us out of seeking renewable energy sources.

18. Nov 13, 2008 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it was BobG who made an interesting point. The price of fuel had been artificially high because of speculators. Could it be that the credit crunch has caused the the speculators to withdraw due to a lack of cash? Or, perhaps the speculators have withdrawn because they knew a global recession would drive the price of oil down.

19. Nov 13, 2008 #18

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think it was me.

I agree there should be a floor price for gasoline. If we're serious about reducing long term demand, you take advantage of unrealistically low prices with a tax that's invested in energy development and keep the price high enough to discourage a further onslaught of super-sized SUVs.

The price definitely shouldn't be under $2.00 a gallon and should probably be a little higher (just no more $4.00 a gallon prices for a while).

20. Nov 13, 2008 #19

jtbell

While checking TV station web sites I came across a nifty USA National Gas Temperature map. It displays counties color-coded by average gasoline price. When you zoom in far enough, you see markers for individual gas stations that people have reported.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?