1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biconditional statements with Or

1. Sep 11, 2008 #1
    Biconditional statements with "Or"

If I have a biconditional statement like this: Let p be an integer other than 0, -1, +1. Prove that p is prime if and only if for each a that exists in Z either (a, p) =1 or p|a.

I know that when you have a biconditional, you have to prove the statement both ways. However, when you solve it the other way, do you have to switch it to an "and," or do you have to do three proofs, one forward, and two backward (One for each case)? I have a homework problem where I have to prove this statement, and going forward is easy but to prove it the other way around, I feel like I need both of those statements to actually prove it.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to put it!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2008 #2
    Re: Biconditional statements with "Or"

Yes, you have to do one for each case. The "either... or" condition makes it clear that each case taken alone (gcd*(a,p)=1; p|a) is sufficient for p to be prime.

* I guess.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?