Biehle's Nova Physics page 3 error with volume calculation?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a physics book regarding the volume of 0.4kg of oxygen gas at a specific temperature and pressure. The textbook calculates the volume to be 24L, but the individual seeking help is getting an answer of 25L. They suspect a rounding error and provide their own calculations to support their answer of 25.6L. The conversation also touches on using different units for the gas constant and pressure in order to get the answer in litres.
thatrunner
1. The problem statement, all vbles and given/known data

So I'm going throught the Nova Physics book and I'm wondering if there's a mistake in calculation. The question reads: How much volume does 0.4kg of oxygen gas take up at T= 27 degrees Celsius and P= 12 atm (gas constant R = 0.0821 L atm/ K Mol).

Homework Equations

V= nRT/ P
the text's last two steps for this calculation are: 0.4x1000x0.08x300 / 32 x 12
the last calculation is: 4x8x300 / 8x50 giving an answer of 24 L.
Where on Earth did the 8x50 denominator come from?

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep coming up with 25L, but the textbook calculates the volume to be 24L.

Thanks in advance for any help offered :)

Physics news on Phys.org
thatrunner said:
1. The problem statement, all vbles and given/known data

So I'm going throught the Nova Physics book and I'm wondering if there's a mistake in calculation. The question reads: How much volume does 0.4kg of oxygen gas take up at T= 27 degrees Celsius and P= 12 atm (gas constant R = 0.0821 L atm/ K Mol).

Homework Equations

V= nRT/ P
the text's last two steps for this calculation are: 0.4x1000x0.08x300 / 32 x 12
the last calculation is: 4x8x300 / 8x50 giving an answer of 24 L.
Where on Earth did the 8x50 denominator come from?

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep coming up with 25L, but the textbook calculates the volume to be 24L.

Thanks in advance for any help offered :)
It may be a rounding problem. I get 25.6 litres.

If you want to use V = nRT/P you have to use R = 8.3145 Nm/mol K and P in Pascals (N/m) with 1 atm = 101,325 N/m. Volume will be in m^3 so multiply by 1000 to get litres

n = 400g/(32 g/mol) = 12.5 mol
P = 12 x 101,325 = 1,215,900 N/m
T = 300 K
R = 8.3145 J/mol K

V = 1000 x 12.5 x 8.3145 x 300/1.216e6 = 25.6 L.

AM

Thanks Andrew for taking the time to respond.
Yes, without rounding off the initial figures, I come up with an answer of 25.6 L.
The last stage in calculations in the book confused me when it moved from having a 32x12 denominator to a denominator of 8x50... I think the last step contains a misprint.

1. What is Biehle's Nova Physics page 3 error with volume calculation?

Biehle's Nova Physics page 3 error with volume calculation is a mistake that was made in a physics textbook written by Dr. John Biehle. In this error, there was a miscalculation in the volume formula, resulting in incorrect values being given for the volume of some objects.

2. How was this error discovered?

This error was discovered by a group of students who were studying from the textbook and noticed that the volume values for certain objects did not match with their own calculations. They brought this to the attention of their teacher, who then contacted Dr. Biehle.

3. What was the impact of this error?

This error caused confusion among students and teachers who were using the textbook, as well as potentially leading to incorrect calculations and results in experiments or assignments. It also brought into question the accuracy and reliability of the textbook as a whole.

4. Has the error been corrected?

Yes, after the error was brought to his attention, Dr. Biehle corrected the mistake in subsequent editions of the textbook. However, some earlier versions may still contain the error.

5. What steps can be taken to prevent similar errors in the future?

To prevent similar errors in the future, it is important for authors and publishers of textbooks or scientific literature to thoroughly review and fact-check their work before publishing. Peer review and collaboration with other experts in the field can also help to catch and correct errors before they are published.