[Big bad] Jack the cat chases black bear up tree

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tree
In summary, a black bear ran into a territorial tabby and was chased up a tree twice. The tabby apparently won as the bear is now dead.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
WEST MILFORD, N.J. (AP) -- A black bear picked the wrong yard for a jaunt, running into a territorial tabby who ran the furry beast up a tree - twice. [continued]
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CAT_SCARES_BEAR?SITE=AZPHG

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The image of the cat sitting at the base of the tree with the bear about 25 or 30 ft up is hilarious.

I suppose Jack was never 'fixed'. :rofl:

I see that you beat me to it in "The Daily Kitten". :biggrin:

That cat certainly has attitude. Mine hides from the deer.

Ivan Seeking said:
I see that you beat me to it in "The Daily Kitten". :biggrin:
Yeah, but it deserves its own thread.

Ivan Seeking said:
That cat certainly has attitude. Mine hides from the deer.
Our Yorkshire terrier chases deer, squirrels or whatever. It's funny to see a 10-11 lb dog chase a large deer. Another reason we keep her tethered - otherwise she'd take off into the woods or down the street.

It seems that my little Bun is trying to make buddies with the deer who now sleep behind the house in Tsu's planter boxes.

I haven't seen the big buck around...just the babies. Late, heavy rains have extended the life of the creek [which is what keeps the deer around].

Last edited:
My grandparents' cat (a giant orange tiger named "Fluffy") used to patrol their neighborhood attacking dogs. After he ripped up a number of dogs, slashed their noses and rode 'em down the street like a bronco-buster, the complaints got a bit more serious, and the old folks had to tie him up on a length of rope whenever they let him out, just to keep peace with the neighbors. He wasn't aggressive with people, but he didn't tolerate dogs, and back in the early 60's, lots people in small towns used to let their dogs run free. It was kind of sad seeing Fluffy snubbed up at the end of his rope trying to attack a passing dog. I don't know if Fluffy would have challenged a bear, but he never backed down from any dogs that wandered into "his" neighborhood. No dog that had tangled with him ever wandered within range of his rope run, to my knowledge, although once in a while a newbie would wander into "harrass" the cat and learn a painful lesson.

Ivan Seeking said:
It seems that my little Bun is trying to make buddies with the deer who now sleep behind the house in Tsu's planter boxes.

I haven't seen the big buck around...just the babies. Late, heavy rains have extended the life of the creek [which is what keeps the deer around].
I hope the doe that brought her twins here to sleep on my lawn last summer made it through hunting season. I'd go out to get the paper and see a big kidney-shaped depression in the grass with little kidney-shaped depressions snuggled up to hers. I'd shake a few apples out of the trees for them, and with the motion-detector sprinklers guarding the garden, they stayed out of the vegetables. BTW, Havahart now sells these for $29 each, and they work great - just a 9-volt battery and a hose is all you need to startle critters out of your garden.

1. Who is [Big bad] Jack the cat?

[Big bad] Jack the cat is a domestic cat who became famous for chasing a black bear up a tree in a viral video.

2. How did Jack the cat chase a black bear up a tree?

In the viral video, Jack the cat is seen boldly approaching a black bear and making aggressive movements towards it, causing the bear to retreat up a tree in fear.

3. Is it common for cats to chase bears?

No, it is not common for cats to chase bears. Cats are usually smaller and more timid than bears and would not typically engage with them in this way. Jack's behavior is considered unusual and has made him famous.

4. Was Jack the cat in any danger during this encounter?

It is possible that Jack could have been injured if the bear had decided to attack him. However, it is also possible that Jack's bold behavior and quick movements intimidated the bear and prevented any harm from coming to him.

5. What happened after the video ended?

After the video ended, the bear eventually climbed down from the tree and left the area. Jack was unharmed and returned to his home with his owners. The video has since gone viral and Jack has become an internet sensation.

Back