Big Bang and the Second Law of Thermodynamics

In summary, the Big Bang is not a violation of the Second Law of Thermodynamics because the concept of entropy only applies to systems in equilibrium or undergoing quasistatic processes. The universe, including stars, galaxies, and planets, is constantly changing and not in equilibrium, so the Second Law does not necessarily apply. Additionally, there are local violations of the Second Law all the time, so the Big Bang does not contradict it. Finally, Stephen Hawking has shown that the universe is not exempt from physical laws, so the Big Bang is not a violation of the Second Law of Thermodynamics.
pbethala
I am educated enough to know the Big Bang was not an explosion, but rather an expansion. However, does this not violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics? How can stars, galaxies, and planets develop and lose enthropy if the Second Law says that it should gain enthropy. Also, the universe was shown by Stephen Hawking not standing above time or physical laws. So, how can a Big Bang occur if it violates the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

Space news on Phys.org
I might be wrong here but i thought that the idea that entropy can only increase was when you considered things like quasistatic processes or systems in equilibrium. Once **** starts blowing up all bets are off until it settles down. At least that's what i got out of my statistical mechanics unit :P I mean there are violations on a local scale of that law all the time, entropy decreases in one area (humans) but will be offset somewhere else. Where the balancing part for the big bang would be is a good question.

Forgive me for spelling entropy as "enthropy." I am not exactly fully fluent in English yet.

Hi, pbethala,
  • You can probably use the "Edit this post" button to correct the spelling of the word "entropy" in your Post #1, at least for a limited time (a day or so).
  • In another very recent post I addressed exactly the same misconception about "entropy of the universe". You might poke around and see if you can find it.

1. What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is the scientific explanation for the origin and development of the universe. It states that the universe began as a singular, extremely hot and dense point and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. How does the Big Bang relate to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the total entropy, or disorder, of a closed system will always increase over time. The Big Bang Theory is used to explain the initial low entropy state of the universe, which has been increasing as the universe expands.

3. Can the Second Law of Thermodynamics be applied to the entire universe?

Yes, the Second Law of Thermodynamics applies to the entire universe as it is a closed system. This means that the total entropy of the universe will continue to increase over time, leading to a state of maximum entropy or thermal equilibrium.

4. Does the Big Bang Theory violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

No, the Big Bang Theory does not violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics. The theory accounts for the initial low entropy state of the universe and the increase in entropy over time, in accordance with the law.

5. How does the Big Bang Theory support the idea of a finite universe?

The Big Bang Theory supports the idea of a finite universe because it suggests that the universe had a beginning. If the universe had existed forever, it would have reached a state of maximum entropy by now. The fact that the universe is still expanding and evolving supports the idea that it had a beginning and is finite.