Big bang , physical constants , possibilities

Theories of the beginning are at this point in our accumulation of knowledge, total speculation - its possible that the universe has a past eternal existence - at some instant the relationship between infinite space and eternal time was disrupted or as commonly phrased, the symmetry was broken and matter became the consequence - there is no reason to prefer the big bang creation of space and time over any other scenario. As Marcus once posted, to wit: we are not yet ready to ask these questions.

good point yogi , from such a perspective I think the popular science guys are doing alot of harm many times by describing things like big bang and the suff that comes with it leaving the impression we already know every aspect about it , not to mention the times they just get something wrong themselves and then the average interested reader is left with whatever he was fed with.
Some prominent scientists among those people of the mainstream media stereotypes, too bad that making money is sometimes more important than telling the full honest truth even is she is dissatisfying

My intuition is that the laws of physics (and the constants) weren't born with what we currently reckon as the birth of the universe, nor do they evolve into things that can't be at least statistically predicted- or traced back in time. We don't yet understand them, but my guess is that there are laws of physics (or even philosophical concepts), which predict things, and are... mostly always true:smile:

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
My intuition is that the laws of physics (and the constants) weren't born with what we currently reckon as the birth of the universe, nor do they evolve into things that can't be at least statistically predicted- or traced back in time. We don't yet understand them, but my guess is that there are laws of physics (or even philosophical concepts), which predict things, and are... mostly always true:smile:
What?

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
My intuition is that ...
It's always a good idea to keep in mind that when it comes to cosmology (the very large) and quantum mechanics (the very small) human "intuition", "common sense", and so forth are generally not worth squat. I think this probably also applies to the laws of physics in general.

I'm not saying you are wrong (or right), I'm just saying that basing a conclusion like this on intuition is not a good idea.

EDIT: by the way, I have to agree w/ Drakkith that your post is a bit incoherent. Please don't do things that make me agree w/ Drakkith. I hate agreeing with him :smile: :smile: :smile:

Last edited:
I was just throwing that idea out there I suppose. Like a good buddy of mine once said, 'I'm pretty sure the physics works out.'

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
I was just throwing that idea out there I suppose. Like a good buddy of mine once said, 'I'm pretty sure the physics works out.'
Well, keep in mind that personal speculation is seriously frowned on here.

Yeah, I do understand that speculation on this forum unacceptable, but I don't think either of you guys understood what I was trying to say- in regards to the original question of this post.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Yeah, I do understand that speculation on this forum unacceptable, but I don't think either of you guys understood what I was trying to say- in regards to the original question of this post.
Since we clearly don't understand what you were saying, I'd have to agree that we didn't understand what in meant in regards to the OP. :smile:

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Please don't do things that make me agree w/ Drakkith. I hate agreeing with him :smile: :smile: :smile:
I wonder... can we "fix" you more than once? I don't know, but I'm willing to try. :tongue:

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
ryan albery, what Drakkith is refering to is my avatar. He thinks I'm actually a dog. I've tried to explain to him that dogs can't type but he doesn't get it. He thinks I'm unusually smart. For a dog.

Physics is reality, by definition, that's all I'm trying to say... for being a dog.

Last edited:
Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
ryan albery, what Drakkith is refering to is my avatar. He thinks I'm actually a dog. I've tried to explain to him that dogs can't type but he doesn't get it. He thinks I'm unusually smart. For a dog.
I don't remember ever discussing your mental aptitude.

as much as I know phinds from being on this forum his not only smart his also sarcastic on many occasions , how does that go together with the description of a dog? He also has an avatar of a white polar bear , probably an alter ego for a dog. :D
Now that you are done trying to find something funny about my infantile jokes,..

Back on the topic, I would somehow like to agree to what ryan allbery said , and quite frankly not that he is the first one who has ever said this , I think the idea is as old as everyting around us.
Yet the question is perfectly legit I think, how does a universe or space time while being literally created on spot and rapidly changing evolving and all kinds of things and yet it falls just into the right proportions etc so that we can look now back at it and say , a universe was born and yet here we are.
Without the assumption that the laws must have come if not before it as tere were no time hence no space then atleast , well ok this is the tricky part , how do the laws come before the space time itself?
Well normally when we build something we always make schematics and calculations first and only then we do it otherwise nothing but chaos comes out , but it's hard to apply such terminalogy to the birth of the universe as if there was no time before it then nothing could have been made or changed or etc.Yet somehow in the context of the universe the laws happened to fall out just right on the spot together with the mass and space itself so that all could form as we see it.

After all I said , try to think about it assuming no God , any metaphysical force involved, any previous universes etc etc , assume the best model we have for now , assume nothing before it, sounds kinda weird doesn't it?