Big Freeze: Entropy or Dark Energy?

In summary, the ultimate fate of the universe is theorized to be the Big Freeze, caused by dark energy expanding the universe to the point where stars can no longer form. Entropy also plays a role in this, as the second law of thermodynamics states that all energy will eventually be evenly spread out, leading to a state of "Heat Death" where useful work and life can no longer occur.
No-name
I'm interested in the ultimate fate of the universe. And it seems that the most prevalent theory is the Big Freeze.

From what I can gather the BF is caused by dark energy making the universe expand to the point that stars can no longer form, resulting in cold dark space filling the universe.

But then how does entropy play a part? It seems like DE beat entropy to the finishing line...

Or do the two processes go hand in hand in killing the universe??

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Dark energy causes things to happen and entropy is the result of things happening so I don't even really understand your question since you seen to be treating entropy as causative.

Likes 1 person
Well, according to the second law of thermodynamics, when energy is used; some of it gets evenly spread out throughout the universe; no matter how small it is. Eventually all the energy will be evenly spread out throughout the universe. This is a problem because we need an imbalance of energy so that useful work and life can occur. Entropy plays a big role in this. Entropy, how disorderly something is, is at the highest when things evenly spread out. If Dark Energy doesn't get us, we will eventually experience something called "Heat Death"

Likes 1 person
phinds said:
Dark energy causes things to happen and entropy is the result of things happening so I don't even really understand your question since you seen to be treating entropy as causative.

You're right, I got confused. I should have said the second law of thermodynamics. Thanks

Superm3 said:
Well, according to the second law of thermodynamics, when energy is used; some of it gets evenly spread out throughout the universe; no matter how small it is. Eventually all the energy will be evenly spread out throughout the universe. This is a problem because we need an imbalance of energy so that useful work and life can occur. Entropy plays a big role in this. Entropy, how disorderly something is, is at the highest when things evenly spread out. If Dark Energy doesn't get us, we will eventually experience something called "Heat Death"

Thanks, that answers my question.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

I understand your interest in the ultimate fate of the universe and the theories surrounding it, particularly the Big Freeze. The Big Freeze is indeed a commonly accepted theory for the end of the universe, and it is caused by a combination of both dark energy and entropy.

Dark energy is believed to be the driving force behind the expansion of the universe, causing it to expand at an accelerating rate. This expansion will continue indefinitely, leading to the eventual separation of all matter and the formation of a cold, dark space.

However, entropy also plays a crucial role in the Big Freeze. Entropy is a measure of disorder or randomness in a system, and it is constantly increasing in our universe. This means that as the universe expands, it becomes more and more disordered, leading to a state of maximum entropy.

In the case of the Big Freeze, dark energy and entropy work hand in hand to bring about the end of the universe. Dark energy causes the expansion of the universe, while entropy ensures that this expansion leads to a state of maximum disorder and coldness.

So, to answer your question, both dark energy and entropy are involved in the Big Freeze, and they both contribute to the eventual death of the universe. It is a complex and fascinating process, and there is still much to be discovered and understood about it. I hope this explanation helps to clarify the role of these two processes in the ultimate fate of our universe.

1. What is the Big Freeze theory?

The Big Freeze theory, also known as the Heat Death of the Universe, suggests that in the distant future, the universe will continue to expand and cool until all matter and energy is evenly distributed and no longer able to sustain life.

2. What causes the Big Freeze?

The Big Freeze is caused by the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy (or disorder) of a closed system always increases over time. As the universe expands, the energy density decreases, leading to a decrease in temperature and an increase in entropy.

3. Is Dark Energy responsible for the Big Freeze?

While dark energy is believed to be the driving force behind the accelerating expansion of the universe, it is not the direct cause of the Big Freeze. Dark energy's role in the Big Freeze is to counteract the gravitational pull of matter, allowing the universe to continue expanding and cooling.

4. How will the Big Freeze affect the universe?

The Big Freeze will lead to a state of maximum entropy, where all matter and energy is evenly distributed and no longer able to sustain any form of life. This will result in a dark and cold universe with no sources of energy or light.

5. Can we prevent the Big Freeze?

At this point, it is unlikely that we can prevent the Big Freeze. The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental to the functioning of the universe and cannot be reversed. However, some scientists are exploring the possibility of using advanced technologies to create new universes or manipulate the laws of physics to potentially avoid the Big Freeze.