Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bijections and need of zorn's lemma

1. May 18, 2013 #1
    Assume that there exists a bijection [itex]\phi:X\to Y[/itex]. Also assume there exists some subsets [itex]A\subset X[/itex] and [itex]B\subset Y[/itex] such that a bijection [itex]\varphi:A\to B[/itex] exists too. Now Zorn's lemma implies that there exists a bijection [itex]\psi:X\to Y[/itex] such that [itex]\psi(A)=B[/itex].

I think I have now understood how to apply Zorn's lemma to things like this, so the above claim is clear to me (I assume).

My question is that if [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] and countable, will the result also hold without Zorn's lemma?

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Let A={a1, a2, ...} and B={b1, b2, ...}
    This is possible as both are countable.

Now you can just loop over the elements of A and B and "fix" ϕ to get a ϕ' with ϕ'(A)=B.

4. Jun 11, 2013 #3
    Ok, I guess you are right. I was originally conserned that when I try to fix [itex]\phi[/itex] so that [itex]\tilde{\phi}(a_n)=b_n[/itex] would hold, this step could interfere with the earlier fixings at points [itex]a_1,\ldots, a_{n-1}[/itex]. But it seems now that it will not happen. But it's not trivial. Very difficult to see intuitively.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook