Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Billionaire funding creation of artificial libertarian islands

1. Aug 17, 2011 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I have ideas about people I personally would like to put on these islands. :devil:

My fear would be that these people will eventually leave these "islands" and come back to the real world unable to adapt or even understand how society operates. No laws and plenty of guns. Isn't this what we have worked so hard to prevent? The Wild West comes to mind.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...artificial-libertarian-islands-140840896.html

Talk about ridiculous ways to waste money. A clock built to last longer than human civilization.

:uhh:

http://boingboing.net/2011/06/17/jeff-bezos-co-to-bui.html

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2011 #2
    So...who would want to live on these islands? Other than billionaire libertarians who expect willing corporate slaves to move in, I mean. I guess maybe people who want to buy hookers, gay people wanting to get married, and people who want to smoke pot in public. But there's places to do those things stateside. Either way, I don't think people would want to stay long.

...Maybe the stoners.

4. Aug 17, 2011 #3

rhody

Gold Member

Free eccentric thinkers, YES, do they have way way way too much free time and money on their hands, YES, YES, YES...
    What a choice of words...

Rhody... Liber(scare)rians...repeatedly bangs head on wall and facepalms in between head bangs... :confused:

5. Aug 17, 2011 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The contrast between this, and the hippie commune movement of the sixties, is striking.

An entire country run by spoiled prima donnas? Good luck! :rofl: I hope they plan to include a lot of lawyers in their community.

6. Aug 17, 2011 #5
    I think they would need thousands times more than "$1.25 million".

:rofl:

7. Aug 17, 2011 #6
    I think this is a great idea. They could be research havens for areas that are or will be forbidden (by religious nuts and the misguided). Like cloning, stem cells and life extension. Genetic research will eventually be restricted. I think the term is germ line changes for one thing. I see nothing wrong with these experiments but others do. When we get close to finding immortality there will be attempts to restrict that too. The religious in the USA will try to stop that. I expect routes to immortality (if it's possible) to be discovered this century.

Another advantage of these places is they could be essentially immune to tsunamis. If this idea gets popular look for countries to try and eliminate international waters.

8. Aug 17, 2011 #7

Ryan_m_b

Great idea! Perhaps we can do away with those pesky bioethics and test on children and people. Think of how much we could learn about leukaemia if we could induce it into tens of thousands of babies in one go!?! The religious nuts may object but we may find the route to immortality!

:uhh: Back to reality. Regulations are there for a reason, removing them completely is ridiculous and in the majority of developed countries there are little restrictions on good science. Educating people about the reality is far more practical and ethical than suggesting we get rid of all regulations on the basis of some mythical suppression.

9. Aug 17, 2011 #8

rhody

Gold Member

Jurassic Liberscareians...
    I like it, it has a nice ring to it...

Rhody... :rofl:

P.S. Now where did I leave my Kool-Aid ?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  10. Aug 17, 2011 #9
    I'll just leave this here...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  11. Aug 17, 2011 #10

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He's preparing for the fantasy setting where all technology has been lost, and a primitive mankind uncovers still-functional machines of the ancients and marvels at the technology and wondering what they were used for.

12. Aug 17, 2011 #11

Evo

Sounds like someone with too much money, too much free time, and too much Planet of the Apes.

13. Aug 17, 2011 #12

rhody

Gold Member

Thanks Evo,

An indirect humble complement. I will take them anyway I can get them, lol.

Rhody... :approve:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  14. Aug 17, 2011 #13
    I do not think looser building code in the waters is a good idea.

15. Aug 17, 2011 #14
    Way to start a discussion!
    [...]
    Technocrats should populate that island. Or something of that sort. That would be marvellous.

Or if this would be a social experiment then implement Plato's ideas, see what would be the outcome.

16. Aug 17, 2011 #15
  17. Aug 17, 2011 #16
    I'm a firm believer in democracy. Not less government, not more government. Democracy. When you look at surveys, you realize that most people are actually very reasonable. If there were more direct voting on issues and less power held by special interests this country could truly be a beacon of light rather than just a rich and powerful state.

Check out americanselect.org. I saw it on the Colbert Report. People directly nominating presidential candidates rather than parties doing it. This is the kind of thing that excites me (well this and physics).

18. Aug 17, 2011 #17
    I agree. But, it gets a bit unnerving when actors and businessmen are elected to power.

19. Aug 17, 2011 #18

Evo

Let's stay on topic please.

20. Aug 17, 2011 #19

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

:bugeye: (someone let me know if you've heard this story b4)

I wrote a pair of single paragraph stories some years back, to vent my stress over the start of the 2nd gulf war. I never intended that anyone else ever read it, but somehow, a libertarian bartender of mine got a hold of the copy(hic!).

He hand wrote an extensive negative response to the whole thing. His response was 100 times better than my story. But it was mean, and nasty, and still, IMHO, totally wrong. But anyways, here's the exchange that prompted my above googly eyes:

:bugeye:

21. Aug 17, 2011 #20

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

:bugeye:

I can't get any more on topic!

Though there is a natural island I think we should send them to, that will not cost anyone anything. And I hear it's its own continent! They would be most impressed with themselves having an entire continent to themselves.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook