Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Bin Laden, the truth about his death?

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Interesting article about what really happened that night.

continued...

I suggest reading the entire article as there is a lot of information.

http://news.yahoo.com/correcting-fairy-tale-seal-account-osama-bin-laden-054233289.html

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Nov 7, 2011 #3
    Honestly it sounds like patriotic dribble and a guy looking to cash in on books to me too.

5. Nov 7, 2011 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

If that's the case, then I'm sure someone will call him on it.

6. Nov 7, 2011 #5
    This was obvious from day one when various senators started taking claim - it was pretty sad from all sides.

Also, how is this 'patriotic dribble' when he's trying to make the assassination less daring that originally thought? The author is trying to debunk the 'glory' of the mission and make it more real, more cold. Personally - I don't think it's patriotic nor unpatriotic to tell the story, especially if it's accurate.

7. Nov 7, 2011 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Perhaps. Though it's hard to be cold - and accurate - while writing such comments as "...a man who sought violence to the very end..."

Navy Seals burst into the room with guns leveled, and the author makes it out like Bin Laden's the one "seeking violence". That's spin.

8. Nov 7, 2011 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Seals will never tell nitty-gritty details about their job to anyone - not to this author, not to their wives - no one. Every time I read something like this, I think it's safe to assume it's all just crap.

9. Nov 7, 2011 #8
    i don't know. i'm suspicious of the book, but there is also a bit of a stink from the helicopter with seals on it that got shot down after the bin laden raid. if these guys think they're being set up, then they might not keep quiet.

10. Nov 8, 2011 #9

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

There are only a few people on this planet who know what happened that night in Abbottābad, Pakistan. The rest of us will NEVER KNOW. some folks speculate, guess, and outright concoct fantasy adventures. The books, etc. are, in liasab's words, "all just crap"

11. Nov 8, 2011 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

But they write reports, right? They're debriefed.

Well, that being said, you're right. If hockey stars get scripts to read to the public I can assume Navy Seals do too.

12. Nov 8, 2011 #11

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have no idea about Navy Seals, but from my experience of engineering projects for the US military, you would need to get security clearance to put up a slide that gave away a state secret like "force = mass x acceleration".

13. Nov 11, 2011 #12

rhody

Gold Member

Lisa,

This is http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-depth/bitter-seals-tell-of-killing-bert-laden/story-fn8ljzlv-1226186934623" [Broken], that is dated one day before Evo's, Australian News, Sunday, November 6th.

I find it interesting it was reported in the Australian news to begin with. To me, that fact adds credibility. According to the article, the seal's were upset that:
    Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  14. Nov 11, 2011 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

:smile:

True, bit this is different. It is an event the world has been following. They are obliged to give an account. The issue is how accurate.

15. Nov 15, 2011 #14
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  16. Nov 15, 2011 #15

rhody

Gold Member

Thanks Jimmy,
    Sad to see he has such a dismal future, but at the same time, his claims are not close enough to warrant an investigation into whether he spoke with Seal Team Six members who performed the mission, and are forbidden to talk about it with outsiders.

That leaves us with, "we will never know for certain the real sequence of events".

Just as well then, Bin Laden is no longer with us. I can live with that.

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  17. Aug 29, 2012 #16
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19409426

Whatever the truth maybe but I am not in the favor of seeing this book in public. It might have already caused more than enough damage:

18. Aug 30, 2012 #17
    Is anyone else suspicious that this is coming out during election season? Smells like Swift Boating to me.

19. Aug 31, 2012 #18

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Here are a few excerpts from the Wiki page on “Swiftboating”:
    “The word swiftboating is an American neologism used pejoratively to describe an unfair or untrue political attack. ... the term "swiftboating" as a synonym for "the nastiest of campaign smears",[6] "a slimy political attack",[14] and, for many, "ugly, unprincipled slander."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiftboating

Sorry, Angry Citizen, but I cannot read your mind to get your meaning. With the above definition in mind, will you please explain how is the publication of this book is unfair, untrue “swiftboating”? Who is performing a political attack against whom? What part of this story is "ugly, unprincipled slander"? Thank you.

Cheers,
    Bobbywhy

20. Aug 31, 2012 #19

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Pentagon may take legal action against SEAL author
    By ROBERT BURNS, AP National Security Writer–21 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon's top lawyer has informed the former Navy SEAL who wrote a forthcoming book describing details of the raid that killed Osama bin Laden that he violated agreements to not divulge military secrets and that as a result the Pentagon is considering taking legal action against him.
    The general counsel of the Defense Department, Jeh Johnson, wrote in a letter transmitted Thursday to the author that he had signed two nondisclosure agreements with the Navy in 2007 that obliged him to "never divulge" classified information.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jjpj0kj7_0LZDkY27fZ7-McGi6IA?docId=10be0942343b4e36abe8eb027c95a36a [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  21. Aug 31, 2012 #20
    Do you not think perhaps the book is full of lies intended to bring about the downfall of the Obama presidency? That is what I meant - and the obvious culprits would be the Republican Party.

I don't have any proof, really, but the timing does seem suspicious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook