1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial Distribution satisfies Marcoff Chain

1. Jul 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement

Consider the Binomial Distribution in the form

[itex]P_{N}(m)=\frac{N!}{(\frac{N+m}{2})!(\frac{N-m}{2})!}p^{\frac{N+m}{2}}q^{\frac{N-m}{2}}[/itex]

where [itex]p+q=1[/itex], [itex]m[/itex] is the independent variable and [itex]N[/itex] is a parameter.

Show that it satisfies the marcoff chain

[itex]P_{N+1}\left(m\right)=pP_{N}\left(m-1\right)+qP_{N}\left(m+1\right)[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

I'm trying my solution starting from this:

[itex]pP_{N}\left(m-1\right)+qP_{N}\left(m+1\right)[/itex]

[itex]=p\frac{N!}{\left(\frac{N+m-1}{2}\right)!\left(\frac{N-m+1}{2}\right)!}p^{\frac{N+m-1}{2}}q^{\frac{N-m+1}{2}}+q\frac{N!}{\left(\frac{N+m+1}{2}\right)!\left(\frac{N-m-1}{2}\right)!}p^{\frac{N+m+1}{2}}q^{\frac{N-m-1}{2}}[/itex]

[itex]=\frac{N!}{\left(\frac{N+m-1}{2}\right)!\left(\frac{N-m+1}{2}\right)!}p^{\frac{N+m+1}{2}}q^{\frac{N-m+1}{2}}+\frac{N!}{\left(\frac{N+m+1}{2}\right)!\left(\frac{N-m-1}{2}\right)!}p^{\frac{N+m+1}{2}}q^{\frac{N-m+1}{2}}[/itex]

[itex]=p^{\frac{N+m+1}{2}}q^{\frac{N-m+1}{2}}\left(\frac{N!}{\left(\frac{N+m-1}{2}\right)!\left(\frac{N-m+1}{2}\right)!}+\frac{N!}{\left(\frac{N+m+1}{2}\right)!\left(\frac{N-m-1}{2}\right)!}\right)[/itex]

I can't go any further. If you can help I would appreciate.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

(Edit) See what happens if you multiply by##\frac{N+1}{N+1}##.

4. Jul 22, 2013 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My previous comment was based on a particular way that I went about it which got to the result. But, on review, I see that multiplying by (N+1)/(N+1) isn't necessary.

I would factor out the ##N!## in your expression.

The important thing is to get the two denominators in your expression to match the denominator in ##P_{N+1}(m)##. For example, what could you multiply the numerator and denominator of ##\frac{1}{\left(\frac{N+m-1}{2}\right)!\left(\frac{N-m+1}{2}\right)!}## by to get the denominator in ##P_{N+1}(m)##?

[By the way, welcome to PF, ppedro!]

5. Jul 23, 2013 #4
    Hey TSny! Thanks for your reply. I see what you're suggesting but I'm not being able to compute it. The factorials are not helping me simplify the expression.

6. Jul 23, 2013 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##P_{N+1}(m)## has a denominator of ##(\frac{N+m+1}{2})!(\frac{N-m+1}{2})!##.

Compare that to your first denominator ##(\frac{N+m-1}{2})!(\frac{N-m+1}{2})!##.

To get your denominator to match the denominator in ##P_{N+1}(m)##, you've got to somehow transform ##(\frac{N+m-1}{2})!## into ##(\frac{N+m+1}{2})!##.

What can you multiply ##(\frac{N+m-1}{2})!## by to produce ##(\frac{N+m+1}{2})!##?

7. Jul 23, 2013 #6
    [itex]\frac{(N+m+1)!}{(N+m-1)!}=\frac{(N+m+1)(N+m)(N+m-1)!}{(N+m-1)!}=(N+m+1)(N+m)
    [/itex]

8. Jul 23, 2013 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. Note that ##\frac{N+m+1}{2} = \frac{N+m-1}{2} + 1##.

9. Jul 23, 2013 #8
    Ok, I see your point. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted