Binomial expansion question that I cannot fathom

In summary, Ray Vickson's method is to find the coefficients of p^3q^7 and p^4q^6 in each term separately.
Originaltitle

Homework Statement

It says: Determine the coefficient of p4q7 in the expansion of (2p-q)(p+q)10.

I can find the coefficient of p4q6 in the expansion of (p+q)10 but how am I to find it for (2p-q)(p+q)10?

Homework Equations

Binomial expansion formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

[Coefficient of p4q6 in the expansion of (p+q)10 = (10C6) x (p)4 x (q)6.]

Physics news on Phys.org
Originaltitle said:

Homework Statement

It says: Determine the coefficient of p4q7 in the expansion of (2p-q)(p+q)10.

I can find the coefficient of p4q6 in the expansion of (p+q)10 but how am I to find it for (2p-q)(p+q)10?

Homework Equations

Binomial expansion formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

[Coefficient of p4q6 in the expansion of (p+q)10 = (10C6) x (p)4 x (q)6.]

Write
[tex] (2p-q)(p+q)^{10} = 2 p (p+q)^{10} - q (p+q)^{10},[/tex] then find the coefficients of p^4 q^6 in each term separately.

But they're asking for the coefficient of p^4q^7, not p^4q^6. BUT 4 + 7 = 11 and 11 is not the power on the original bracket. The powers on p and q must add up to 11, but they can't over here.

Originaltitle said:
But they're asking for the coefficient of p^4q^7, not p^4q^6. BUT 4 + 7 = 11 and 11 is not the power on the original bracket. The powers on p and q must add up to 11, but they can't over here.

I have told you how I would do the problem if I had to.

You did but they're not asking for what you're doing. They're asking for the coeff. of p^4q^7, not p^4q^6 which is what you're finding.

Originaltitle said:
You did but they're not asking for what you're doing. They're asking for the coeff. of p^4q^7, not p^4q^6 which is what you're finding.

Use Ray Vickson's method. For the binomial ##(p+q)^{10}##, find the coefficient of ##p^3q^7## for the first product, and ##p^4q^6## for the second product.

What happens when you multiply the first product by ##2p##, and the second by ##q##? Now do the subtraction.

Thanks.

1. What is a binomial expansion?

A binomial expansion is an algebraic formula used to expand a binomial expression (an expression with two terms) to a given power. It is used to simplify and solve complex mathematical problems involving binomials.

2. How do you perform a binomial expansion?

To perform a binomial expansion, you use the binomial theorem, which states that any binomial expression can be expanded using Pascal's triangle and the coefficients of the binomial expansion formula. These coefficients are known as binomial coefficients and can be found using the combination formula.

3. What is the purpose of a binomial expansion?

The purpose of a binomial expansion is to simplify and solve complex algebraic expressions involving binomials. It is also used in probability and statistics to calculate the probability of certain outcomes in a given situation.

4. Can a binomial expansion be used for any power?

Yes, a binomial expansion can be used for any power, as long as the power is a positive integer. The formula for binomial expansion can be extended to negative and fractional powers, but it requires more advanced mathematical concepts.

5. What are some real-world applications of binomial expansion?

Binomial expansion is commonly used in finance, economics, and engineering to solve complex problems involving binomial expressions. It is also used in probability and statistics to calculate the probability of certain outcomes. Additionally, it has applications in computer science, particularly in data compression and error-correcting codes.