1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial expansion question that I cannot fathom

1. Dec 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It says: Determine the coefficient of p4q7 in the expansion of (2p-q)(p+q)10.

I can find the coefficient of p4q6 in the expansion of (p+q)10 but how am I to find it for (2p-q)(p+q)10???

2. Relevant equations

Binomial expansion formula.

3. The attempt at a solution

[Coefficient of p4q6 in the expansion of (p+q)10 = (10C6) x (p)4 x (q)6.]

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write
    [tex] (2p-q)(p+q)^{10} = 2 p (p+q)^{10} - q (p+q)^{10},[/tex] then find the coefficients of p^4 q^6 in each term separately.

4. Dec 6, 2012 #3
    But they're asking for the coefficient of p^4q^7, not p^4q^6. BUT 4 + 7 = 11 and 11 is not the power on the original bracket. The powers on p and q must add up to 11, but they can't over here.

5. Dec 6, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have told you how I would do the problem if I had to.

6. Dec 6, 2012 #5
    You did but they're not asking for what you're doing. They're asking for the coeff. of p^4q^7, not p^4q^6 which is what you're finding.

7. Dec 7, 2012 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Use Ray Vickson's method. For the binomial ##(p+q)^{10}##, find the coefficient of ##p^3q^7## for the first product, and ##p^4q^6## for the second product.

What happens when you multiply the first product by ##2p##, and the second by ##q##? Now do the subtraction.

8. Dec 8, 2012 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook