Solve Binomial Theorem: Find Term Independent of x

In summary, the binomial theorem is a useful method for avoiding the expansion of large expressions. In order to find a term independent of x in the expansion of (2+x)(2x+(1/x))5, the expansion of [2x+(1/x)]5 must have a constant term or a term in x-1. The power of x is given by 5-2r, and for it to be zero, r must be equal to 3. This means that the term independent of x is the third term in the expansion, and in the case of (2+x)5, it is the term with a coefficient of 40.
thornluke
Homework Statement
The method of Binomial expansion is useful because you can avoid expanding large expressions:
Q: Find the term indepedent of x in the expansion of (2+x)[2x+(1/x)]5

The attempt at a solution:
"For this to produce a term independent of x, the expansion of [2x+(1/x)]5 must have a constant term or a term in x-1...?
So the power of x is given by 5-2r. This cannot be zero for positive integer values of r. Hence the required coefficient is given by:
5 - 2r = -1
r = 3"

But why?! I do not understand that underlined statement.

Physics news on Phys.org
thornluke said:
Homework Statement
The method of Binomial expansion is useful because you can avoid expanding large expressions:
Q: Find the term indepedent of x in the expansion of (2+x)[2x+(1/x)]5

The attempt at a solution:
"For this to produce a term independent of x, the expansion of [2x+(1/x)]5 must have a constant term or a term in x-1...?
So the power of x is given by 5-2r. This cannot be zero for positive integer values of r. Hence the required coefficient is given by:
5 - 2r = -1
r = 3"

But why?! I do not understand that underlined statement.

What would be happen if it becomes zero? See there's a term (2+x) also present. :wink:

Pranav-Arora said:
What would be happen if it becomes zero? See there's a term (2+x) also present. :wink:

So...the expansion of [2x+(1/x)]5 must have a constant term or a term in x-1...

Constant term means the term with no x right?

But why can the term independent of x be in x-1 too?

thornluke said:
But why can the term independent of x be in x-1 too?

Because the term already has a x-1! It cannot be independent of x if it already has a x :rolleyes:

To explain the question, you need a term independent of x. You get them independent of x, if a constant term gets multiplied with another constant term, OR a term with x-1 is multiplied with a term with x. But there is no constant term(not involving x) in the expansion of [2x+(1/x)]5 as explained. So the only possibility remains, that x-1 gets multiplied with x.

Infinitum said:
Because the term already has a x-1! It cannot be independent of x if it already has a x :rolleyes:

I am so lost here.. why am I so terrible at maths :frown:

thornluke said:
Constant term means the term with no x right?
Yes! :smile:

We need to find the constant term in expansion of (2+x)(2x+(1/x))5, not in (2x+(1/x))5. So when x in (2+x) multiplies by a term having x-1 with it, we get a constant term as [itex]x*\frac{1}{x}=1.[/itex].

Pranav-Arora said:
Yes! :smile:

We need to find the constant term in expansion of (2+x)(2x+(1/x))5, not in (2x+(1/x))5. So when x in (2+x) multiplies by a term having x-1 with it, we get a constant term as [itex]x*\frac{1}{x}=1.[/itex].

Ahh.. I think I'm starting get the grasp of this.. one more problem!
Expand (2+x)5 and hence find 1.95
= 32 + 80x+ 80x2 + 40x3 + 10x4 + x5

Why can 1.95 be considered to be x= -0.1 in the above expansion?

thornluke said:
Ahh.. I think I'm starting get the grasp of this.. one more problem!
Expand (2+x)5 and hence find 1.95
= 32 + 80x+ 80x2 + 40x3 + 10x4 + x5

Why can 1.95 be considered to be x= -0.1 in the above expansion?

What is (2+(-0.1))5=?

Pranav-Arora said:
What is (2+(-0.1))5=?

Thanks very much. Can't believe I can't even think simple.

its binomial theorem.
use the formula t(r+1)=nCr*x^n-r*a6r
x=x^2 and a=-1/2x (substitution of the question variables)
n=power=3
let the term independent of x be t(r+1)=x^0=1
therefore after substitution the formula would be
Y*x^0=nCr*(x^2)^3-r*(-1*x^ -1)^r
therefore power of x=6-2r-r
but in the term power of x is supposed to be 0
0=6-3r
6=3r
r=2.
therefore the term is r+1
2+1
=3..
therefore the term independent of x is the third term.

Related to Solve Binomial Theorem: Find Term Independent of x

1. How do you find the term independent of x in a binomial theorem?

To find the term independent of x in a binomial theorem, you need to look at the exponent of x in the expanded form of the binomial. If the exponent of x is 0, then the term is independent of x. Otherwise, the term will have a coefficient and a variable term with an exponent of x.

2. Can the term independent of x ever be negative?

Yes, the term independent of x can be negative. This is because the exponent of x can be negative, which will result in a negative coefficient for the term.

3. What is the significance of the term independent of x in the binomial theorem?

The term independent of x represents the constant term in the expanded form of the binomial. It is the term that does not contain any variable and will remain the same regardless of the value of x. This term is important in solving and simplifying binomial expressions.

4. Can you have more than one term independent of x in a binomial theorem?

No, there can only be one term independent of x in a binomial theorem. This is because the term independent of x represents the constant term, and there can only be one constant in an expression.

5. How does finding the term independent of x help in solving binomial equations?

Finding the term independent of x allows you to simplify the binomial expression by removing the constant term. This can make the equation easier to solve, especially when dealing with higher exponents and more complex expressions.