Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomical vs poisson distribution in Simulations

1. Sep 14, 2006 #1
    Hey, I want to write a Computer Simulation in C++, which simulates the development of a DNA sequence with a probability to mutate x in one "generation". I do have a variable number (=n) of copies of this DNA. Now one might think, to simulate the mutation by simply:
    sum(n*Poisson distributed random variable(x) ) ​
    to get the number of mutated DNA copies. But this would be too slow.
    So my question is, could I also just create a
    binomically distributed random variable and multiply it by n * x​
    to get the number of mutated DNA's? Or is this statistically incorrect?
    If not, how might I set the Params for the Bin. dis.? Can I take 1 as a mean and multiply the result x or has the mean to be x? And how do I set / transform the variance of the distribution in a ratio to number of copies.
    As you might probably have guessed, I'm a beginner in statistics, but i would be really grateful for any help. Thanks in advance,
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Hm, if I remember correct, there is a link between the binomial and Poisson distribution.. Poisson's probability function is given with [tex]f(x)=\frac{\lambda^x}{x!}e^{-\lambda}[/tex]. Now, I think you can put [tex]\lambda=mp[/tex], where the number of repetitions of a Bernoulli scheme experiment [tex]m \rightarrow \infty[/tex] and it's probability [tex]p \rightarrow 0[/tex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?