Binomical vs poisson distribution in Simulations

In summary, the conversation discusses the simulation of DNA sequence development with a probability to mutate. The question is whether using a binomial distribution or a Poisson distribution would be more efficient, and what parameters should be used. The relationship between the two distributions is also mentioned.
hagen
Hey, I want to write a Computer Simulation in C++, which simulates the development of a DNA sequence with a probability to mutate x in one "generation". I do have a variable number (=n) of copies of this DNA. Now one might think, to simulate the mutation by simply:
sum(n*Poisson distributed random variable(x) )​
to get the number of mutated DNA copies. But this would be too slow.
So my question is, could I also just create a
binomically distributed random variable and multiply it by n * x​
to get the number of mutated DNA's? Or is this statistically incorrect?
If not, how might I set the Params for the Bin. dis.? Can I take 1 as a mean and multiply the result x or has the mean to be x? And how do I set / transform the variance of the distribution in a ratio to number of copies.
As you might probably have guessed, I'm a beginner in statistics, but i would be really grateful for any help. Thanks in advance,
Hagen

Physics news on Phys.org
Hm, if I remember correct, there is a link between the binomial and Poisson distribution.. Poisson's probability function is given with [tex]f(x)=\frac{\lambda^x}{x!}e^{-\lambda}[/tex]. Now, I think you can put [tex]\lambda=mp[/tex], where the number of repetitions of a Bernoulli scheme experiment [tex]m \rightarrow \infty[/tex] and it's probability [tex]p \rightarrow 0[/tex].

In simulations, there are often situations where we need to model the probability of an event occurring. In your case, you are trying to simulate the development of a DNA sequence with a probability of mutation x in one generation. This type of event can be modeled using either a binomial or Poisson distribution.

A binomial distribution is used to model the number of successes in a fixed number of trials, where each trial has a constant probability of success. In your case, the number of successes would be the number of mutated DNA copies and the number of trials would be the number of copies of the DNA. This distribution is appropriate when the number of trials is fixed and the probability of success is constant.

On the other hand, a Poisson distribution is used to model the number of events occurring in a fixed time period, where the events occur independently and with a constant average rate. In your case, the events would be the mutations and the time period would be one generation. This distribution is appropriate when the time period is fixed and the events occur independently with a constant average rate.

In terms of simulation, both distributions can be used to model the probability of mutation in your DNA sequence. However, there are some differences between them that you should consider.

Firstly, the binomial distribution requires a fixed number of trials, which may not be appropriate in your case as the number of copies of the DNA can vary. On the other hand, the Poisson distribution does not have this limitation and can handle varying numbers of trials.

Secondly, the Poisson distribution assumes that the events occur independently and with a constant average rate, which may not be true in your case. If the probability of mutation varies depending on the specific DNA copy, then the binomial distribution may be a better choice.

In terms of setting the parameters for the binomial distribution, the mean and variance are determined by the number of trials (n) and the probability of success (x). The mean is equal to n * x and the variance is equal to n * x * (1-x). Therefore, if you want to simulate the number of mutated DNA copies, you can use a binomial distribution with a mean of n * x and a variance of n * x * (1-x).

In conclusion, both binomial and Poisson distributions can be used to model the probability of mutation in your DNA sequence simulation. The choice between them depends on the specific characteristics of your simulation and the assumptions you are willing

1. What is the difference between binomial and Poisson distribution in simulations?

Binomial and Poisson distributions are two commonly used probability distributions in simulations. The main difference between them is that the binomial distribution is used for discrete random variables, while the Poisson distribution is used for continuous random variables. This means that the binomial distribution is used when the outcome of each trial is either a success or a failure, while the Poisson distribution is used when the outcome is a count of occurrences within a continuous interval.

2. How are the two distributions calculated in simulations?

The binomial distribution is calculated using the formula P(X=x) = (nCx)(p^x)(q^(n-x)), where n is the number of trials, x is the number of successes, p is the probability of success, and q is the probability of failure. The Poisson distribution is calculated using the formula P(X=x) = (e^(-λ))(λ^x)/(x!), where λ is the mean number of occurrences in the interval and x is the number of occurrences.

3. When should I use binomial distribution in simulations?

Binomial distribution should be used in simulations when the outcome of each trial is independent of the previous trials, and the probability of success remains constant throughout the trials. This is often the case in experiments or studies where the sample size is fixed and the outcomes are binary (success or failure).

4. When should I use Poisson distribution in simulations?

Poisson distribution should be used in simulations when the outcome of each trial is independent of the previous trials, and the probability of success is low while the number of trials is large. It is also used when the events occur continuously and randomly over a given interval, such as the number of customers arriving at a store in a given time period.

5. Can I use both distributions in the same simulation?

Yes, it is possible to use both binomial and Poisson distributions in the same simulation. For example, if the outcome of each trial has a binomial distribution, but the number of trials in the simulation follows a Poisson distribution, then both distributions can be used to accurately model the simulation's results.