Biodiversity - Which is the most diverse animal or plant?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Animal Plant
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 6K views
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
4,411
Reaction score
552
Which is the most diverse animal or plant, if one classes any thing living that is not a plant an animal.
 
Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Which measure of diversity?

wolram said:
Which is the most diverse animal or plant, if one classes any thing living that is not a plant an animal.

Come again? Are you restricting competitors to "plants and animals", or excluding "plants and animals"? (Define plant, animal.) And do you mean morphological diversity? Genetic diversity? Behavioral diversity?

In ecology and systematics, "diversity" usually refers to a more or less vaguely motivated quantity which alleges to compare "diversity" of ecosystems or genomes in a population of breeding organisms. One of the simplest measures of "diversity" of an ecosystem was proposed by George Gaylord Simpson:
[tex] D = 1 - \sum_{j=1}^n p_j^2, \; \rm{where} \; \sum_{j=1}^n p_j = 1 \; \rm{and} \;<br /> 0 \leq p_j \leq 1, \; {\rm for} \; 1 \leq j \leq n[/tex]
See http://www.tiem.utk.edu/~mbeals/simpsonDI.html from M. Bealls (Institute for Environmental Modeling, University of Kentucky), which uses a different and nonstandard form of Simpson's diversity index, but has the virtue of giving some data you can play with.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If i understand the question correctly, it seems that you are looking for the species with the most variation in appearance. my guess would be Canis domesticus
 
Andre said:
If i understand the question correctly, it seems that you are looking for the species with the most variation in appearance. my guess would be Canis domesticus

forsooth!

http://www.eminemitalia.it/images/hiphoptimeline/snoop_dogg.jpg
ny11202161305.hmedium.jpg

http://s.yottamusic.com/i/akGc.2Vs7 EDIT: you know, now that this thread made me think about it... humans all look ridiculously similar. I mean, take away haircuts, makeup, etc.. and I'd say, as far as geometric variety goes, we're quite monotonous and boring when compared to other species.

I think it's fascinating that we can tell each other apart so well, considering how freakishly similar our faces are.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Diatoms are a class (Diatomacea) in the Phylum Chrysophyta of the Kingdom Protista.
Another single species candidate could be Poecillia reticulata, (Peters 1859)

humans all look ridiculously similar

How does a cat recognise a person? When I used to come home after work, I would be very silent. Eventually the cat, who regretfully past away last year, would stop monitoring the Poecillia reticulata's and would stare at me, wondering who I might be. That is, until I said something, then immediate the spark of recognition and an affectionate greeting ceremony would follow.
 
Last edited:
Life has split two ways, plant and animal, one grows from the soil (environment) the animal lives from the other and procreates, that is the best distinction i can give.
 
Last edited:
So did you mean to ask "which is the most diverse animal or plant?" or "which is the more diverse, animal or plant?"

Behold the power of punctuation, among other things... :smile:
 
Last edited:
out of whack said:
So did you mean to ask "which is the most diverse animal or plant?" or "which is the more diverse, animal or plant?"

Behold the power of punctuation, among other things... :smile:


READ THE FIRST POST
 
Andre said:
Diatoms are a class (Diatomacea) in the Phylum Chrysophyta of the Kingdom Protista.
Another single species candidate could be Poecillia reticulata, (Peters 1859)

Wolfram never specified "single species", in fact his statement of the challenge is not even self-consistent.

[EDIT: :smile: one guppy does not belong with the others!]

Andre said:
How does a cat recognise a person? When I used to come home after work, I would be very silent. Eventually the cat, who regretfully passed[/red] away last year, would stop monitoring the Poecillia reticulata's and would stare at me, wondering who I might be. That is, until I said something, then immediate the spark of recognition and an affectionate greeting ceremony would follow.

Have you read Desmond Morris's book on the behavior of the "domestic" cat?
 
moe darklight said:
\

EDIT: you know, now that this thread made me think about it... humans all look ridiculously similar. I mean, take away haircuts, makeup, etc.. and I'd say, as far as geometric variety goes, we're quite monotonous and boring when compared to other species.

Overweight people look quite different naked!