Getting rid of millipedes that are infesting plants in garden

In summary, the best way to get rid of millipedes that are infesting plants in your garden is to eliminate moist and decaying organic matter, as this is their main food source. It is also important to keep your garden clean and free of debris, as well as regularly watering your plants in the morning instead of the evening. Additionally, using natural repellents such as diatomaceous earth or cedar mulch can help deter millipedes from infesting your plants. If the infestation is severe, using insecticides specifically labeled for millipedes may be necessary. Overall, a combination of prevention and targeted treatment methods can effectively rid your garden of millipede infestations.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
We have a small garden on our terrace. Today, when I went to water the plants, I found that some flower plants had their leaves turned translucent, i.e., they had lost all the chlorophyll. Upon looking closely, I found these millipedes having their lunch off the leaves:

20221008_165038.jpg
20221008_165042.jpg

Till now, only one plant has been affected, and I separated that pot from the others.

How do I get rid of these? Any advice is appreciated.

Biology news on Phys.org
Another approach is to use BtK, a commonly found bacillus that is lethal to caterpillars. You dilute it with water and spray it onto the plants. It's pretty safe. It doesn't kill the caterpillers immediately but kill them it does. You can find it in liquid form at garden shops.

Of course as long as their flying mothers have access to your plants you'll have to continue to occasionally reapply the solution.

Longer term solution:
If you have a lot of infectable plants in an area, you could set up a place for wasps to make a nest. I have used an old aquarium standing on end which provides a nice dry area for them to build a nest. Many kinds of wasp will predate upon caterpillars near by. This has worked great for my vegetable garden where caterpillars were virtually eliminated.

• Wow
Likes Wrichik Basu, jim mcnamara, OmCheeto and 2 others
Some more pictures. My 60x camera was being unable to focus at full zoom on the leaves, though it could easily focus when pointed at the floor of the terrace. This is the closest I could get with Macro:

jim mcnamara said:
If they are larvae (caterpillars) and not millipedes, try neem oil:
Ordered this, anyway. They are eating the hell out of the leaves.
jedishrfu said:
It may be some kind of fly larvae in which case you'll have lots of flies about.
We don't have many flies around.

JT Smith said:
Another approach is to use BtK, a commonly found bacillus that is lethal to caterpillars.
I think BTK was a serial murderer in the pacific northwest!
I have used Bt on the green cabbage looper and the tomato hornworm with good result. Those loopers were hard to pick off the broccoli and I believe Bt is completely innocuous (unless perhaps you are Mothra ) I actually don't know whether it bad for butterflies or their larvae.

As a first aid: these seems to be the right size for some work with a tweezer.
Fast, efficient.
Check if they are some local breed (likely there will be different sized ones) or they migrated from somewhere nearby.

Comparing your latest image to google images tells me they may be Indian Lily Moth caterpillars.
Wiki states the following regarding their control: "They can be controlled using pesticides such as malathion and azadirachtin. Biological control can be used through the fungus Metarhizium and a tachinid fly."

• Informative
Likes BillTre and Wrichik Basu
Somehow forgot about this thread. Here's the update: I ordered the Neem oil, which I had mentioned in post #6. I mixed it at twice the concentration stated on the packet, and sprayed every day for one week, completely covering the leaves and the soil too. Surprisingly, when I sprayed, the ones that were eating and directly received the oil became somewhat inactive. After one week, I couldn't find them, neither in the soil nor on the leaves. Probably the birds helped in cleaning off the bodies. The plants are doing fine and recovering.

Likes OmCheeto, berkeman, BillTre and 1 other person
Thanks for the update. Neem oil is great.

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. How do millipedes infest plants in a garden?

Millipedes are attracted to moist and decaying plant material, making gardens an ideal environment for them. They can also enter gardens through cracks in the soil or by being carried in on plants or in potting soil.

2. What are the signs of a millipede infestation in a garden?

The most common sign of a millipede infestation is seeing them crawling on plants or in the soil. You may also notice damage to plant leaves, stems, or roots. Millipedes can also leave behind a musty odor.

3. How can I prevent millipedes from infesting my garden?

To prevent millipedes from infesting your garden, you can remove any decaying plant material, such as fallen leaves or dead plants. You can also create a barrier around your garden with gravel or diatomaceous earth, which can deter millipedes from entering.

4. What are some natural ways to get rid of millipedes in a garden?

Some natural methods for getting rid of millipedes in a garden include using beneficial nematodes, which are microscopic worms that feed on millipede larvae, and introducing predators such as centipedes or ground beetles. You can also use a mixture of equal parts vinegar and water to spray on millipedes, which can repel them.

5. Can chemical pesticides be used to eliminate millipedes in a garden?

Chemical pesticides can be used to eliminate millipedes in a garden, but they should be used as a last resort. Pesticides can also harm beneficial insects and disrupt the natural balance of your garden. If using pesticides, be sure to carefully follow the instructions and only use them in areas where millipedes are present.