Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biography: Maverick Mathematician Joe Moyal

1. Dec 19, 2009 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I stumbled across this biography while reading about Graham Farmelo's biography of Paul Dirac.

Maverick Mathematician
    The Life and Science of J.E. Moyal

It's interesting because there is an appendix with correspondence between Moyal and Dirac.
    Appendix 2. P.A.M. Dirac – J. E. Moyal: Correspondence, 1944-1946. Basser Library, Australian Academy of Science, Canberra, MS 45/3/

Appendix 3. contains his paper -Quantum Mechanics as a Statistical Theory by J.E. Moyal
    Originally published in the Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, Vol. 45, 1949.

Reproduced with permission of Cambridge University Press.

Moyal was also an engineer.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Kea made significant references to Moyal when she was posting at PF. After being alerted, I kept hearing the name. Especially the "Moyal product". For some reason the people who approach quantum gravity via noncommutative geometry and noncommutative field theory often mention things going by his name. Could turn out to be important.

1910-1998. This obit emphasizes his work as an engineer.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook