Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biological Hacking of Computers

1. Feb 6, 2019 #1

BillTre

Science Advisor
    2018 Award

I didn't know whether to put this in Biology and Medical or in Programing and Computer Science so I am putting it in General Discussion.
    This article from Wired describes U. of Washington group that has produced a piece of DNA that when sequenced in a particular sequencing machine can produce a buffer overflow which would allow malicious software to take over running the computer.
    The article describes their approach, some problems they had, and potential uses much better than I could.
    To me the most interesting use mentioned was to put such a sequence into an engineered organism to make it more difficult for someone to sequence their engineered organism and reproduce it.
    Someone has already encoded a piece of video in DNA sequence, so this is just another step in that direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2019 at 6:00 PM #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?