1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biology Grad School For Physics Majors

1. Jul 20, 2009 #1
    So I'm currently a Physics/Math major with an interest in biophysics. Since biophysics is such an interdisciplinary field, some graduate schools have this area in their biology department, while others have it in their physics department. I looked at MIT's biology site and it says that they are very interested in physics or math majors. Is this kind of thing common? Anyone have any experience with anything like this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Biophysics has a considerably broad definition. From what I understand it is generally easier for a physics student to pick up the necessary biology than for a biology student to pick up the necessary physics in this field. Hence, depending on the particular research, physics students can be favoured.

4. Jul 20, 2009 #3
    That's definetly true.

5. Jul 21, 2009 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I second (or third) this comment. Having a background in the physical sciences is an advantage because the student is already familiar with the idea of quantitative measurement and analysis; something that is broadly lacking in 'classical' biology.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook