Biology Grad School For Physics Majors

• Schools
  • Thread starter pjfoster
  • Start date
So I'm currently a Physics/Math major with an interest in biophysics. Since biophysics is such an interdisciplinary field, some graduate schools have this area in their biology department, while others have it in their physics department. I looked at MIT's biology site and it says that they are very interested in physics or math majors. Is this kind of thing common? Anyone have any experience with anything like this?

Answers and Replies

Choppy
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Biophysics has a considerably broad definition. From what I understand it is generally easier for a physics student to pick up the necessary biology than for a biology student to pick up the necessary physics in this field. Hence, depending on the particular research, physics students can be favoured.

Biophysics has a considerably broad definition. From what I understand it is generally easier for a physics student to pick up the necessary biology than for a biology student to pick up the necessary physics in this field. Hence, depending on the particular research, physics students can be favoured.
That's definetly true.

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I second (or third) this comment. Having a background in the physical sciences is an advantage because the student is already familiar with the idea of quantitative measurement and analysis; something that is broadly lacking in 'classical' biology.