1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biot-Savarts law: Off-axis radial field

1. Sep 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi

I am trying to find the off-axis x-component of the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying coil. The on-axis case is done here, where the axial (z-) field is found and the x-component is of course 0 due to symmetry.

I am pretty sure I know how to do it: I end up getting

[tex]
    B \propto \int_{0}^{2\pi}{\frac{Rz_0}{(z_0^2 + (x_0-R\sin\phi))^{3/2}}d\phi}
    [/tex]
    where R is the coil-radius, z0 is the (axial) distance from the coil-axis and x0 the radial distance away from the symmetry axis. However, this is the magnitude of the field - I am trying to find only the radial component along x, which is what I am stuck with.

I'd be very happy to get a hint or two.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not sure what you are calling x and "(axial) distance from the coil-axis" but in general any computation of off-axis mag field of a single coil like this requires advanced math including elliptic integrals. Not for the timid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted