Biotechnology and bioluminescence

In summary: Thanks for the input.In summary, genetic engineering is the introduction of a gene from one organism into another to change their properties. This could include introducing a bioluminescent gene into roadside trees to create streetlights without wasting silicon or other metalloids. However, this idea has some disadvantages, such as the need for a Luciferase enzyme and the difficulty of introducing the gene into the tree.
The legend
the other day, I was learning basic bio tech(of 10th grade) .. and found out about genetic engineering.

So what I thought was .. there are these bioluminescencent(light giving) organsisms in the deep sea and in trees too(fire flies!) which must be having some or the other gene to make them produce light. So why not introduce this gene into roadside trees and make them as streetlights?

Then no electricity waste (and though street lights are run on solar panels silicon or other metalloids are wasted here)... instead there will be a multi-benefit of more trees , oxygen , rain ...etc.

This is just what I believe might be possible... please be free and correct me if I am wrong.

Biology news on Phys.org
Anyone please guide me whether this is right or not..

Man that's an awesome idea.
The only problem I can think of is that most bioluminescent molecules require some form of chemical energy to light up, so you would have to engineer that "power source" into the tree. It could be something simple like routing sugar to the area of luminescence, but then it's also kind of tricky to figure out where to make the luminescent protein in the tree. Hmm, I'm thinking if you could introduce a bioluminescent gene to pine cones that might be feasible?
Theoretically Possible? YEAH
Actually doing it? might be tough.

Haha I just realized I said it would be "simple" to reroute sugar to a specific place. I don't know too much plant science but I'm guessing that aint right.

Last edited:
Kglocc said:
Man that's an awesome idea.
The only problem I can think of is that most bioluminescent molecules require some form of chemical energy to light up, so you would have to engineer that "power source" into the tree. It could be something simple like routing sugar to the area of luminescence, but then it's also kind of tricky to figure out where to make the luminescent protein in the tree. Hmm, I'm thinking if you could introduce a bioluminescent gene to pine cones that might be feasible?
Theoretically Possible? YEAH
Actually doing it? might be tough.

Thanks!
You are right though... practically it doesn't exactly work out.
I myself found another disadvantage to this too.

Originally form http://www.photobiology.info/LeeBasicBiolum.html

How Does Bioluminescence Work? All bioluminescence reactions involve an oxygen oxidation of an organic molecule (called the luciferin). The reaction is catalyzed by an enzyme called a luciferase and in many cases, the bioluminescence intensity is assumed to reflect the velocity of the enzyme-substrate reaction, and this intensity is used to analyze the kinetics on the Michaelis-Menten model (Figure 5A). It was first a puzzle that the bioluminescence of aequorin and subsequently of several other like organisms, was found not to involve oxygen kinetically, and these proteins were labeled "photoproteins" (Figure 5B). It was eventually established that the oxygen had already bound to the luciferin, and the photoprotein therefore could be more accurately thought of as a luciferase binding a stabilized reaction intermediate, a peroxy-luciferin.

Many bioluminescent reactions in vitro require cofactors in addition to oxygen, e.g., ATP and Mg2+ for the firefly, Ca2+ for photoproteins (1, 2, 4). In the animal itself (in vivo), there are additional proteins involved for production and regulation, some called "accessory proteins", examples being the fatty acid reductase group of enzymes that produce the bacterial luciferin, a long-chain aldehyde, and there are luciferin-binding proteins in the dinoflagellate and Sea Pansy bioluminescence systems. Also, there are "antenna proteins" that act to modulate the color of bioluminescence, the famous Green-fluorescent protein (GFP) in the jellyfish, and the Lumazine Protein family in bacteria (4). These are named "antenna proteins" by analogy to proteins of similar function in photosynthesis, except that they act in a reverse sense.

Fig5.png

So here we need this enzyme luciferase to catalyze the oxidation of luciferin(that will be hard to produce at large scale). That itself will take away the oxygen produced by the tree and gives away CO2... and this is to be done somewhere inside the tree... and that's going to be tough.

Well .. looks like I will have to refine this idea of mine.

First of all, I commend you for your curiosity and interest in biotechnology and genetic engineering. It is indeed a fascinating field with endless possibilities. Your idea of using the bioluminescent gene to create streetlights is certainly a creative and innovative solution to reduce electricity waste and promote environmental benefits such as more trees and oxygen production.

However, there are several factors that need to be considered before implementing such a technology. Firstly, bioluminescent organisms have evolved to produce light in specific environments and conditions. It may not be feasible to transfer this gene to trees in urban areas and expect the same level of light production. Additionally, the process of genetic engineering is complex and requires extensive research and testing to ensure safety and effectiveness.

Furthermore, there may be ethical concerns regarding the manipulation of genes in living organisms. It is important to carefully evaluate the potential impacts and risks of introducing foreign genes into trees and consider alternatives that may achieve the same goal.

In conclusion, while your idea is certainly intriguing, it would require further research and consideration before it can be implemented. Biotechnology and genetic engineering have the potential to revolutionize various industries and improve our lives, but it is crucial to approach it with caution and responsibility. Keep exploring and learning about these fields, and who knows, you may come up with the next groundbreaking idea!

What is biotechnology?

Biotechnology is the application of biological processes, organisms, or systems to develop or manufacture products. This includes the use of living organisms or their derivatives to create new products, improve existing ones, or develop solutions to various problems.

What is bioluminescence?

Bioluminescence is the production and emission of light by living organisms. This process occurs when certain chemicals, called luciferins, are combined with enzymes, called luciferases, in the presence of oxygen to produce light. This phenomenon is commonly seen in fireflies, glow worms, and marine creatures such as jellyfish and anglerfish.

How is bioluminescence used in biotechnology?

Bioluminescence has many applications in biotechnology, such as in medical research, environmental monitoring, and food safety. It is also used in bioluminescent assays, which are tests that use light emission as a readout for biological processes. This technology allows scientists to study and detect various biological processes and interactions in a non-invasive and sensitive manner.

What are some examples of biotechnological products that use bioluminescence?

Some products that use bioluminescence include glow-in-the-dark toys, bioluminescent plants, and bioluminescent art. In addition, bioluminescent enzymes are used in medical diagnostics, and bioluminescent bacteria are used in environmental monitoring to detect the presence of pollutants. Bioluminescence is also being researched for potential use in sustainable lighting and energy production.

What are the potential ethical concerns surrounding bioluminescence in biotechnology?

Some ethical concerns surrounding biotechnology and bioluminescence include the use of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) and the potential impact on ecosystems. The use of bioluminescence in research and product development must be carefully regulated to ensure the safety of both humans and the environment. Additionally, there may be concerns about the commercialization of bioluminescence and the exploitation of natural resources for profit.