Biphoton: Existence of layered or multiple entanglements

In summary, the article discusses how photon quantum entanglement can be used to produce higher resolution microscope images. It's interesting to note that there is no limit to the number of particles that can be entangled, and many papers have been published exploring the possibility of entangling systems in multiple bases or degrees of freedom.
Revolucien
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
exisitence of layered or multiple entanglements
I read this recent article describing photon quantum entanglement to produce higher resolution microscope. https://phys.org/news/2023-05-quantum-entanglement-photons-microscope-resolution.html
I am curious if quantum entanglement could exist in layers with a third or more entanglement feature. They specify that they call the two entangled photons a “biphoton”… is there a possibility of a tri- or quad- or more photon entanglement?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
vanhees71 said:
The scientific article is open access:

https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-023-38191-4
Vanhees71,
I appreciate the article. It is very interesting and describes a little more detail about the use for microscopy, but I was hoping to find something more about the possibility of compound or layered link involving multiple entanglements rather than a single connection.

The forum protocol automatically adjusted my post title to add “Using photon quantum entanglement to produce higher resolution microscope images” not the focus of my question, and I did not see where to change it.

The summary “existence of layered or multiple entanglements” is more to my original question…
“They specify that they call the two entangled photons a “biphoton”… is there a possibility of a tri- or quad- or more photon entanglement?"

Likes vanhees71
Revolucien said:
The forum protocol automatically adjusted my post title to add “Using photon quantum entanglement to produce higher resolution microscope images” not the focus of my question, and I did not see where to change it.

The summary “existence of layered or multiple entanglements” is more to my original question…
I have updated your thread title now to your new suggested version. In the future if you want your title updated, just click "Report" on your post and ask the Mentors to update the title. :smile:

Likes vanhees71 and Revolucien
Revolucien said:
“They specify that they call the two entangled photons a “biphoton”… is there a possibility of a tri- or quad- or more photon entanglement?"
Sure. There is no particular limit to the number of particles N that can be entangled. N=3 and N=4 get a lot of attention in terms of new papers coming out. Many papers even generalize theory to N>2. Actual experiments have been done with many permutations. Check out these links:

Two independent photon pairs versus four-photon entangled states in parametric down conversion
https://arxiv.org/abs/1508.01480
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1510.02665.pdf

Fair warning: these are advanced papers. And yes, it is also possible to entangle systems in multiple bases or degrees of freedom (what you might call "levels"). Also referred to as hyperentanglement.

Likes vanhees71 and Revolucien
DrChinese,
Thanks for the links... I got some reading to do.

1. What is a biphoton?

A biphoton is a pair of photons that are entangled, meaning that their properties are linked and cannot be described independently. This phenomenon is a key aspect of quantum mechanics and has been observed in various experiments.

2. How is the existence of layered or multiple entanglements related to biphotons?

The existence of layered or multiple entanglements refers to the idea that biphotons can be entangled with multiple other particles or systems, creating a more complex entanglement network. This has been demonstrated in experiments where multiple biphotons are generated and entangled with each other.

3. How is the existence of layered or multiple entanglements significant?

The existence of layered or multiple entanglements is significant because it demonstrates the potential for more complex and interconnected quantum systems. This could have implications for quantum communication and computing, as well as our understanding of quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any practical applications for understanding layered or multiple entanglements in biphotons?

While there are currently no practical applications for understanding layered or multiple entanglements in biphotons, further research in this area could lead to advancements in quantum technologies such as secure communication and faster computing.

5. What are the challenges in studying the existence of layered or multiple entanglements in biphotons?

One of the main challenges in studying the existence of layered or multiple entanglements in biphotons is the difficulty in controlling and measuring these complex entanglement networks. Additionally, the theoretical understanding of these phenomena is still developing, making it a challenging area of research.