Delayed Choice / Quantum Eraser Experiment Question?

In summary, the PBS SpaceTime video implied that if two photons are entangled, and one is later detected, that the other will be affected in some unknown way. However, this is not actually the case, and the concept of time is irrelevant in this scenario.
Phillane
Hello,

Disclaimer:
I have read other posts and understand it is important to reference ‘sources’ and that popular science articles / videos can be a source of annoyance. However, I am struggling to:
A. Find an answer to my question, and/or
B. Understand if my question is even valid.
I hope someone can either provide and answer or point me in the right direction.

I recently watch on YouTube a video regarding the Delayed Choice Quantum Eraser experiment presented by PBS Space Time. The video was not particularly long so I expect excluded a lot of technical detail.

The video seemed to infer that despite the detetection of which slit the photon went through (via the 2nd entangled photon hitting the detector) occurring after the first entangled proton is detected, the absence of an interference patterned still ocrrued, and that therefore the ‘late’ detection somehow retroactively affected the first entangle proton or sent information into the past. (Those were the terms used in the video).

I suspect there are multiple theories for this and the presentation was made in a way to be more ‘weird’ than is actually the case.

My question is however (and i can't find any answer to this) , the video and explanation were presented from the basis as us as the observer and in our frame of reference, with one event occurring after the other. As photons travel at the speed of light, is the concept of time in this scenario irrelevant. From the point of view of the entangled photons would the detection of 2nd photon (and collapse of quantum wave) and detection of 1st photon happen at the same time? And so therefore this is no retroactive action or information into the past.?

If this question is garbage - tell me to move on :)

Many thanks
Phil

Physics news on Phys.org
Phillane said:
I recently watch on YouTube a video

YouTube videos are not generally good sources if you are trying to actually learn the physics. You need to look at textbooks or peer-reviewed papers.

Phillane said:
this is no retroactive action or information into the past.?

That is correct, but it's a general answer. Specific delayed choice experiments can vary in how they are set up, so exactly how you would demonstrate that this answer is correct can vary from experiment to experiment.

PeterDonis said:
YouTube videos are not generally good sources if you are trying to actually learn the physics. You need to look at textbooks or peer-reviewed papers.

Understood - however I suffered a stroke last year and am left with cognitive issues, which particularly affect comprehension of written text and reading more than a page or so of information.

I am generally trying to keep some sort of learning going on topics that interest me, even if this is limited

PeterDonis said:
That is correct, but it's a general answer. Specific delayed choice experiments can vary in how they are set up, so exactly how you would demonstrate that this answer is correct can vary from experiment to experiment.

OK, thanks. Understood

Phillane said:
I suffered a stroke last year and am left with cognitive issues, which particularly affect comprehension of written text and reading more than a page or so of information.

I'm sorry to hear that. If videos are a better medium for you, there are videos online of Susskind giving lectures on various topics; those might be better since they're intended as teaching videos, which the PBS SpaceTime episodes are not.

Phillane said:
My question is however (and i can't find any answer to this) , the video and explanation were presented from the basis as us as the observer and in our frame of reference, with one event occurring after the other. As photons travel at the speed of light, is the concept of time in this scenario irrelevant. From the point of view of the entangled photons would the detection of 2nd photon (and collapse of quantum wave) and detection of 1st photon happen at the same time?

The quantum statistics do not really depend on time. Regardless of the speed c of a photon - or any other particle for that matter: the order of observations is not important in making predictions. Accordingly, relativity is not really a factor, because there is no time element to adjust. Experiments are routinely performed where observation or event order is forced to be (A then B) or (B then A). No difference either way.

"The quantum statistics do not really depend on time"

This I agree with.
What mystifies me is that both observations A and B depend on the other's result. Taking one apparently sets the other when observed.
And the observations are separated in time, with no preferred order.
So when do the correlations manifest , or were they always there to begin with, somehow mapped out without explanation.

Regards

1. What is the Delayed Choice / Quantum Eraser Experiment?

The Delayed Choice / Quantum Eraser Experiment is a thought experiment in quantum mechanics that challenges our understanding of cause and effect. It was proposed by physicist John Wheeler in 1978 and has been verified by numerous experiments since then.

2. How does the experiment work?

In this experiment, a photon is fired at a beam splitter, which splits the photon into two paths: one leading to a detector D0 and the other to a detector D1. The photon has an equal probability of being detected at either detector. However, before the photon reaches the detectors, a second beam splitter is placed in its path, which either allows the photon to pass through or reflects it. The choice of whether to use the second beam splitter or not is made after the photon has already passed through the first beam splitter.

3. What is the significance of the second beam splitter?

The second beam splitter introduces the concept of delayed choice. If the second beam splitter is used, the photon's behavior is influenced and it will be detected at either D0 or D1. However, if the second beam splitter is not used, the photon's behavior is not affected and it will be detected at both D0 and D1, creating an interference pattern. This shows that the decision made after the photon has already passed through the first beam splitter can affect its behavior in the past.

4. What is the Quantum Eraser effect?

The Quantum Eraser effect refers to the ability to "erase" or retrieve the information about which path the photon took after it has already been detected. This is achieved by using a third beam splitter and detectors placed after the first beam splitter. By analyzing the data from these detectors, the information about which path the photon took is erased and the interference pattern is restored.

5. What implications does this experiment have for our understanding of reality?

The Delayed Choice / Quantum Eraser Experiment raises questions about the nature of reality and the role of observation in shaping it. It challenges the traditional idea of cause and effect, and suggests that the future can influence the past. It also supports the idea of parallel universes and the idea that there are multiple possible outcomes for every event. Further research and experimentation in this area could lead to a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of the universe.