(Bipolar Junction Transistor) The Current Gain of Common Base Amplifier

In summary, the conversation discusses the current gain of a circuit and the formula for calculating it. The topic of inverting and non-inverting current amplifiers is also mentioned. The speaker shares a calculation they have done and asks for clarification regarding a discrepancy with their textbook.
Terrycho
Homework Statement
I think there is a typo in my textbook (Basic electronics for scientists and engineers)
Relevant Equations
Bipolar Junction Transistor
Everything is okay besides the current gain of this circuit, which is "g" there

The formula of current gain is I_out/I_in

If I call the current flows to R_e I_2, according to KCL, the following formula must be satisfied.

I_in + (β+1)I_b = I_2

Therefore, to know I_in, we should use the following

I_in = I_2 - (β+1)I_b

After a long calculation, I got g= - Re / (r_be + Re(β+1)) * Rc/(R_L+ Rc), which is the opposite sign of the value above in my textbook.

I cannot find the errata of the book, so I decided to ask here!

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you examine the circuit with its basic biasing shown, you can see at a glance whether a low-frequency circuit is going to be inverting or non-inverting. Looking at the circuit attached, consider the moment when emitter voltage is slightly increased (such as by the positive peak of an AC component superimposed on the DC bias). This increase in emitter voltage reduces the base-emitter voltage, reducing the collector current. The reduced collector current causes less drop across the collector resistor, RC in your image, in turn causing a rise in collector voltage. This increased collector voltage drives more current through the load, designated RL in your images (and connected between collector and base). So the positive peak of input current coincides with the positive peak of current through the load: a non-inverting current amplifier.

Had we done things differently, and instead designated the load to be the collector resistor itself, as in my attachment, then because the positive peak of input current coincides with a drop in current through the collector resistor, we would say this altered arrangement to be an inverting amplifier of AC current.

common_base.JPG

1. What is a bipolar junction transistor (BJT)?

A bipolar junction transistor is a type of semiconductor device that is made up of three layers of doped material, either n-type or p-type, sandwiched together. It is used as an amplifier or switch in electronic circuits.

2. What is the current gain of a common base amplifier?

The current gain of a common base amplifier is a measure of how much the output current is amplified compared to the input current. It is denoted as hFE and typically ranges from 20 to 200 for common BJTs.

3. How is the current gain of a common base amplifier calculated?

The current gain of a common base amplifier is calculated by dividing the output current by the input current. It is also equal to the ratio of the collector current to the emitter current.

4. What factors affect the current gain of a common base amplifier?

The current gain of a common base amplifier can be affected by factors such as the type and doping level of the transistor, the biasing conditions, and the frequency of the input signal. Temperature and manufacturing variations can also have an impact on the current gain.

5. Why is the current gain of a common base amplifier typically lower than other configurations?

The current gain of a common base amplifier is typically lower than other configurations, such as common emitter or common collector, because the input current is only a small portion of the total current flowing through the transistor. This results in a smaller output current compared to the other configurations, leading to a lower current gain.