Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bird flying b/w colliding trains

1. Aug 28, 2006 #1
    I'm sure there's already a thread about how else to solve the famous problem re: the distance covered by a bird flying between two trains on a collision course (other than adding up the sums, of course), but I can't find it.
    Can anyone give me a quick link?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

The elapsed time is how long it takes for the trains to collide from the starting point. Distance covered is the bird's average speed times the elasped time.
  4. Aug 29, 2006 #3

Gold Member

It might be famous in the US, but I've sure never heard of it. What the hell are you talking about? :confused:
  5. Aug 29, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One way to do this problem is to calculate distance the bird, after leaving the first train, must fly to reach the second, then the distance back to the first (taking into account the motion of the trains during the flights), etc. thus getting an infinite series to be summed.

The easy way is to calculate the time until the trains collide, the multiply the bird's speed by that time.

What makes it "famous" is that there is a story that a person once asked (Von Neumann, Weyl, Wiener, ... pick your favorite big brain) that question. The mathematician thought for a second and gave the correct answer. The first person chuckled and said "many people try to do it by summing an infinite series." At which (Von Neumann, Weyl, Wiener, ... ) looked puzzled and said "but I did it by summing an infinite series!"
  6. Aug 29, 2006 #5

Gold Member

Okay, I see what the original problem was. Does the question assume a constant speed for the bird with zero turn-around time, or are positive and negative accelerations included?
  7. Aug 29, 2006 #6
    :hits self over head repeatedly:

Right... Talk about a brain twister. I knew there was an easy solution and I thought for SO LONG, and yet--

Well, thanks for untwisting my brain!
  8. Aug 29, 2006 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It does indeed assume zero turn-around time and constant speed throughout (and no wind :biggrin: ) which is why it can be done by just calculating he time until collision and multiplying this by the speed of teh bird.
  9. Aug 29, 2006 #8
    Sorry, Danger. Here's the problem as was given to me:

Two trains, each having a speed of 25 km/h, are headed at each other on the same straight track. A bird that can fly 60 km/h flies off the front of one train when they are 58 km apart and heads directly for the other train. On reaching the other train it flies directly back to the first train, and so forth. (We have no idea why a bird would behave in this way.) What is the total distance the bird travels before the trains collide?
  10. Aug 29, 2006 #9

Gold Member

Not the most efficient way to play badminton, but I suppose it would be good for a laugh. :rolleyes:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?