Bis-(dimethylglyoxime-nickel (II))

• Thread starter dibs
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is conducting an experiment on ligand fields and paramagnetic effects using a range of transition metals to make complex ions. They are looking for a solvent to dissolve a specific compound, bis-(dimethylglyoxime-nickel (II)), but have tried various options with no success. They are considering using diethyl ether, but are unsure if it will work due to its organic nature. They also mention a potential reaction with hydrochloric acid that resulted in a colorless solution. Another person suggests using absolute alcohol as a solvent, but the speaker considers it a waste.
dibs
yeh basically I am doing an experiment into ligand fields and paramagnetic effects, possible inter-relations etc... and i have a range of transition metals and have proceeded to make complex ions from them, however i wish to pass them through a spectrometer but clearly this can't be done if the ion in question doesn't dissolve... does anyone know of any solvent that i can use to dissolve bis-(dimethylglyoxime-nickel (II)), formula Ni[CH3C(NOH)C(NOH)CH3]2?? its really annoying me, so far i have tried water, ethanol, cyclohexane, 5mol/l hydrochloric acid, a chloroform substitute and 6mol/l ammonia solution... and none have worked, the only other option i can think of is diethyl ether but i feel that it won't work due to its organic nature...

also out of interest, anyone know what would be formed if bis-(dimethylglyoxime-nickel (II)) reacted with hydrochloric acid because a colourless solution was formed and if I am honest i don't have a clue what it was...

thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The Merck Index has it 'appreciably soluble' in absolute alcohol. Terrible waste of Absolut in my opinion, though...

hrmm yeh agreed.. thanks anyway though

What is Bis-(dimethylglyoxime-nickel (II))?

Bis-(dimethylglyoxime-nickel (II)), also known as nickel dimethylglyoxime, is a compound that is used in various scientific and industrial applications. It is composed of nickel, carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen atoms.

What are the properties of Bis-(dimethylglyoxime-nickel (II))?

Bis-(dimethylglyoxime-nickel (II)) is a bright red or pink crystalline solid with a melting point of 243°C. It is insoluble in water and most organic solvents, but can be dissolved in strong acids or bases. It is also stable at room temperature and has a high thermal stability.

What are the uses of Bis-(dimethylglyoxime-nickel (II))?

Bis-(dimethylglyoxime-nickel (II)) has many uses in various fields. It is commonly used as a catalyst in organic reactions and as a reagent in analytical chemistry. It is also used in the production of nickel-plated objects and as a corrosion inhibitor in metal coatings. Additionally, it has medical applications in the treatment of nickel poisoning and as an antitumor agent.

What are the safety precautions when handling Bis-(dimethylglyoxime-nickel (II))?

Bis-(dimethylglyoxime-nickel (II)) should be handled with care as it is a potential health hazard. It can cause skin and eye irritation, and inhalation of its dust can irritate the respiratory tract. It is also toxic if ingested. Protective equipment should be worn, and it should be used in a well-ventilated area.

How is Bis-(dimethylglyoxime-nickel (II)) synthesized?

Bis-(dimethylglyoxime-nickel (II)) can be synthesized by reacting nickel chloride with dimethylglyoxime in an alkaline solution. The resulting compound can then be purified and crystallized to obtain the final product. Other methods of synthesis include using nickel acetate or nickel sulfate as starting materials.