Compare Ions: 1 Mol Nickel (II) vs 1 Mol Copper (I)

• Thread starter NewsboysGurl91
  • Start date
In summary, 1 mol of nickel (II) will have a greater number of ions than 1 mol of copper (I). This is because 1 mol of nickel (II) has 1.03 * 10^22 ions, while 1 mol of copper (I) has 9.48 * 10^21 ions. Remember that moles refers to a specific number of a substance, similar to how a dozen refers to a specific number of items. Taking into account the units of "ions/gm" and considering the information provided by chemisttree, it can be determined that nickel will have the greater number of ions.
NewsboysGurl91
Which will have the greater number of ions, 1 mol of nickel (II) or 1 mol of copper (I)?

2. No equations

3. Nickel: 1 mol/58.69 g of Ni * 6.022*10^23 ions/ 1 mol = 1.03 * 10^22 ions.

Copper: 1 mol/ 63.55 g of Cu * 6.022 * 10^23 ions/ 1 mol = 9.48 * 10 ^ 21 ions.

Nickel will have the greater number of ions. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is like asking "Which bag will have more items, one with a dozen tennis balls or one with a dozen ping pong balls?"

Remember that "moles" is really a number (like dozen is a number) referring to how many of a certain thing.

Think your two calculations should have the units of "ions/gm", not just "ions", after you cancel both "mole" units.

This and chemisttree's info should lead you to the correct answer.

Good luck.

Steve

What are ions?

Ions are atoms or molecules that have an unequal number of protons and electrons, resulting in a positive or negative charge.

What is the difference between 1 mol of nickel (II) ions and 1 mol of copper (I) ions?

The main difference between these two ions is their charge. Nickel (II) ions have a charge of +2, while copper (I) ions have a charge of +1. This means that nickel (II) ions have two more protons than electrons, while copper (I) ions have one more proton than electrons.

What is the significance of comparing 1 mol of nickel (II) ions and 1 mol of copper (I) ions?

Comparing these two ions can help us understand the differences in their chemical properties and reactivity. It can also provide insights into the role these ions play in various chemical reactions and biological processes.

How do the physical properties of nickel (II) ions and copper (I) ions differ?

The physical properties of these ions, such as melting point, boiling point, and density, may differ due to their different charges and atomic structures. For example, nickel (II) ions are typically larger and have a higher melting point than copper (I) ions.

Are there any similarities between 1 mol of nickel (II) ions and 1 mol of copper (I) ions?

Both nickel (II) ions and copper (I) ions are transition metals and have similar chemical properties, such as their ability to form complex compounds and act as catalysts in reactions. They also have similar atomic structures, with multiple energy levels and valence electrons. However, their charges and physical properties may differ.