Biscuits and gravy? Who the what?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, Evo went to a restaurant this morning and had, among other things, biscuits and gravy. He then realized that what he was eating was not really a meal and felt queasy after eating it. He found a sick kitten and helped to put it to sleep by giving it a painkiller that he had saved for sick kittens.
originally, i come from mississippi, not far from NO, actually. and the gravy i was raised on is a bit different from that. at least every weekend, i had tomato gravy, which has a brown roux with tomatos (of course), salt, and black pepper (another staple, i might add). the biscuits are indeed made with self-rising flour and formed by hand. you make seven of them and place into a greased iron frying pan in a honeycomb pattern so that you get 6 with a crust on the outer edge, and the center biscuit breaks off so that it is soft around the middle and only has a crust on top and bottom. i'll take a biscuit (or two) and break it into 3 pieces (2 crusts plus the soft part) and drench these in tomato gravy.

edit: oh, and in the old days, my grandmother would keep a coffee can with bacon grease for just this sort of thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that a bowl of white beans on grandmas' table with the biscuits?

It makes me hungry just watching!

Cheapest breakfast in town: Whataburger's Biscuits and Gravy $0.99

I followed the video and made some biscuits today. I had never made biscuits from scratch before. They turned out great. Didn't make the gravy.
Thanks Oubache.

Biscuits and gravy= food of the gods. Totally fattening, totally delicious.

The restaurant at the location I used to work in made a breakfast pizza. A personal size pizza crust, coated with cream gravy, topped with cooked crumbled sausage, scrambled eggs, and cheese. Wonderful.

Evo said:
The restaurant at the location I used to work in made a breakfast pizza. A personal size pizza crust, coated with cream gravy, topped with cooked crumbled sausage, scrambled eggs, and cheese. Wonderful.

That sounds like an army dish where you get your dessert with the main all mixed up.

I hate my dessert getting mixed up with the main course. cold doesn't go with hot. Unless it's hot french fries and cold ketchup, but I wouldn't eat cold french fries and hot ketchup. Why is that? If the mean temperature of the two was the same should it make a difference?

montoyas7940 said:
Is that a bowl of white beans on grandmas' table with the biscuits?
It makes me hungry just watching!
At the very end of clip, yeah it sure does looks like a bowl of white beans. It could also be white gravy. Either way it looks delicious :-p

Proton Soup said:
originally, i come from mississippi, not far from NO,... i had tomato gravy, which has a brown roux with tomatos (of course), salt, and black pepper (another staple, i might add)...
Tomato gravy, that's a great variation, I'll have to try that!
larkspur said:
I followed the video and made some biscuits today. I had never made biscuits from scratch before. They turned out great.
Thanks Oubache.
Glad to hear you made some fine biscuits.. It's nice having a few virtual grandma's around to share their cooking tips
Evo said:
Yummm, a tastey all-in-one breakfast. :-p

What about the old stove in the video? That is a trip in the way back machine.