Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Black holes and atomic particles

1. Jul 26, 2006 #1

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Can a proton or netron be compressed?

Why don't individual neutrons behave like mini-black holes?

What about the nucleus of an moderate weight atom; how much empty space is there in the nucleus of an atom?

A lot of articles refer to the gravitational pull within a black hole, but what about the strong force acting on the protons and neutrons within a black hole?

What happens to the electrons in a black hole?

Does matter converted into energy produce the same amount of gravity?

Does matter converted into energy produce the same amount of strong force? If not, and the strong force is a key factor in keeping a black hole intact, will the conversion to energy cause the black hole to dissapate?

Is there a limit as to how fast the matter within a black hole can spin? Is there a limit as to how much centrifugal reaction force is generated by this spin? Could a black hole explode if the spin produced near light speeds with very a small radius of the matter within it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2006 #2

Mk

Just because you can't squeeze it doesn't make it a black hole. And you can squeeze a proton or neutron.

Well they get sucked in!

I don't remember the last time any sort of "energy" creates gravity. Energy is a sort of a bookkeeping device. But I did hear about geons one time, something in which photons are held together by the gravitational field of their own field energy... maybe somebody can elaborate on that.

Is there a limit to as how fast an apple can spin? Why can't a massive object achieve c?

Yes! (same reason as above) The limit is under the gravitational strength of the black hole I think.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  4. Jul 27, 2006 #3
    A proton and electron can be compressed to form a neutron. (At least I think, I won't be supprised if I'm wrong).

Gravity comes along with mass, since energy doesn't have mass it doesn't have gravity.

5. Jul 27, 2006 #4

rcgldr

Homework Helper

I'll rephrase:

If they collide with protons, do they form netrons, or is the impact energy great enough that a nucler reaction and conversion of matter into energy occur?

No response on this one. Wouldn't the strong force hold the netrons and protons in a black hole with even more force than gravity. Does the strong force affect light?

If it doesn't and assuming there's an appreciable amount of conversion of matter within a black hole, does the black hole self destruct?

6. Jul 27, 2006 #5

Mk

I have no idea, and I'm thinking these four posts are a mess looking back at them today. We need an expert in here.

7. Jul 27, 2006 #6
    This thread should be in the "Special and general relativity" section.

Yes. Since mass is just a form of energy, energy morphs the geometry of spacetime just as mass does.

The gravitational field of a black hole gets stronger whenever energy/mass is caught inside its event horizon.

8. Jul 27, 2006 #7

Mk

So does every electromagnetic field have its own gravitational field?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?