Black holes and extra dimensions

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of extra dimensions in string theory and whether they have any relevance to the singularity at the center of a black hole. While there is no concrete evidence for these extra dimensions, some believe they may exist and play a role in understanding the universe. However, there is still much speculation and debate surrounding this topic.
AuntyMatter
We often hear about string theory requiring extra dimensions over and above our 4D spacetime. Does this shed any light on the singularity which is supposed to exist at the centre of a black hole? Does our normal spacetime simply join the other dimensions in their hidden (curled-up) form?
This is probably nonsense, but if I don't ask I won't know for sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
AuntyMatter said:
We often hear about string theory requiring extra dimensions over and above our 4D spacetime. Does this shed any light on the singularity which is supposed to exist at the centre of a black hole?
I've never heard any such suggestion. Why would it?

Does our normal spacetime simply join the other dimensions in their hidden (curled-up) form?
I believe so, but I don't know much about that stuff.

String Theory and its offshoot, M-Theory, lead to extra dimensions and parallel universes. There is no proof of either. If the extra dimensions exist, they could be right around you, not just at black holes, and they could be large, not small, but they are inpenetrable by light or matter or electromagnetic waves; however, at black holes, it is postulated that high frequency gravity waves may be able to penetrate these higher order dimensions that lead to parallel (brane) universes. Just speculation , not theory, but Hawking is a big supporter of M-Theory, which he claims is the only candidate for a complete theory of the universe. As I understand it from my readings, otherwise, I don't know much more.

Thanks to both of you for your answers

AuntyMatter said:
We often hear about string theory requiring extra dimensions over and above our 4D spacetime. Does this shed any light on the singularity which is supposed to exist at the centre of a black hole? Does our normal spacetime simply join the other dimensions in their hidden (curled-up) form?
This is probably nonsense, but if I don't ask I won't know for sure.

Singularities in string theory, Edward Witten

https://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0212349

What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape it. It is formed when a massive star dies and collapses under its own gravity, becoming infinitely dense.

How big can black holes get?

The size of a black hole is determined by its mass. The more mass it has, the larger its event horizon (the point of no return). Supermassive black holes, which are found at the center of most galaxies, can have a mass equivalent to billions of suns.

What happens if you fall into a black hole?

Once you pass the event horizon, the pull of the black hole's gravity becomes so strong that you are unable to escape. The intense gravitational forces would stretch you out like spaghetti in a process called "spaghettification". Eventually, you would be crushed at the singularity, the point of infinite density at the center of the black hole.

What are extra dimensions?

In physics, dimensions are used to describe the position and movement of objects in space. In addition to the three dimensions we are familiar with (length, width, and height), some theories suggest the existence of extra dimensions that are too small for us to perceive. These extra dimensions are important in some theories that attempt to explain the fundamental forces of nature.

Can black holes lead to other dimensions?

There are theories that suggest the possibility of black holes connecting to other dimensions. One theory, called the "wormhole" theory, suggests that black holes may act as gateways to other regions of space and time. However, this remains a topic of debate and further research is needed to confirm these theories.