Could a Particle Accelerator Create a Black Hole That Destroys Earth?

In summary, the fear of a black hole being created by the CERN accelerator that would swallow Earth is not possible in practice or in principle, as a microscopic black hole would have no more gravity than the particles that created it. Additionally, a black hole with the mass of two protons would have a very short lifetime and could not consume enough matter to pose a threat.
mfb said:
A small mass doesn't mean zero mass and a black hole can get very close to objects (there is nothing that would repel it).
How about the crust of the Earth? As stated
Nugatory said:
There's no such thing as not having the "mass to attract inescapably". If the mass is non-zero the Schwarzschild radius is non-zero; if that mass is all contained within the Schwarzschild radius the event horizon will form and nothing at the event horizon will be able to escape. Whether the hole evaporates or grows depends on whether it is "hotter" than its surroundings, which determines whether it loses more energy by Hawking radiation than it absorbs frames from outside.

What we don't know, because we do not have a complete theory of quantum gravity at extremely small scales, is what if any as-yet-undiscovered physics might show up at these scales. However, it is somewhat pointless to speculate without a candidate theory that will make quantitative predictions.
Schwarzschild radius. This is what I needed to understand. So basically any matter that collapses has an event horizon where the original diameter was, and nothing can escape crossing that. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
thetrellan said:
True. But why should such a thing grow, if what makes it do so is its intense gravity?
Once in a while matter falls in, that makes it grow. Where "it" is a hypothetical stable microscopic black hole, so we are in a science fiction scenario.
There is no reason to think it would ever find the center of the planet, either, when not even light does this.
A black hole has nothing in common with light. It would be in free-fall to a very good approximation (see above: There is nothing stopping it motion), only deviating from that when a particle falls into the black hole. This process makes it lose kinetic energy over time and it settles in the core of Earth over time.
The only particle I know of that can move through solid matter is the neutrino. I admit I don't know much about them, and that what I do know is pretty suspect. But they go clean through planets, don't they?
Neutrinos at not too high energies can go through planets, sure, but they are not the topic here.
thetrellan said:
So basically any matter that collapses has an event horizon where the original diameter was, and nothing can escape crossing that.
No, the event horizon is much smaller.

jbriggs444 said:
A small black hole dropped from rest on the surface of the Earth will fall toward the Earth's center. Being subject to negligible resistance by the Earth's crust, mantle or core, it will enter a very eccentric orbit about that center with a period of around two hours and an apogee at the Earth's surface. [At least if we hand wave away the likelihood that it will evaporate first].

Interesting scenario. We should talk Kip Thorne into writing another movie.

mfb said:
Where "it" is a hypothetical stable microscopic black hole, so we are in a science fiction scenario.

I rest my case.

ps. Couldn't be any worse than "Bird Box"...

thetrellan said:
why should such a thing grow, if what makes it do so is its intense gravity?

Have you read through the thread? This has already been discussed.

thetrellan said:
There is no reason to think it would ever find the center of the planet, either, when not even light does this.

Light can't reach the center of the Earth because the Earth is not transparent to light. The Earth is effectively transparent to a nano-sized black hole (as it is to neutrinos, which is why neutrinos can pass through the Earth). This has been discussed in the thread as well; please go back and read through it.