Block pushed up an incline, velocity using work

In summary: So the work done by friction is:WFr = μkFn d = (0.14)(229.08)(5.5) = 189.64Now, when you add this to the net work, you get:Wnet = 190 + 189.64 = 379.64And solving for velocity:v = √(2Wnet/m) = √(2(379.64)/18) = 6.1 m/sSo your calculations were correct, you just made a small mistake in using dcos\theta instead of just d.
alexs2jennisha
this question has 4 parts, I am having trouble on the last part but i will post all parts to give context.

Part A

How much work is done by the horizontal force FP = 150 N on the 18-kg block of the figure(Figure 1) when the force pushes the block 5.5m up along the 32∘ incline? Assuming a coefficient of friction μk = 0.14. [Hint: Work-energy involves net work done.]

for WFp i got 700 J

Part B

How much work is done by the gravitational force on the block during this displacement?

for Wgr i got -510J

Part C

How much work is done by the normal force?

for WN i got 0 J

Now the part that I am having trouble

Part D

What is the speed of the block (assume that it is zero initially) after this displacement?

To do this part I did

initially I used the equation Wnet = 0.5mv2, with Wnet = WFp + Wgr + WN so Wnet = 190

and i solved for v by v = sqrt(2W/m) and got 4.6 m/s

that answer is incorrect. After consulting with my professor she said to take friction into account but now I am not sure how to do so.

I know that the normal force is mgcosθ + Fpsinθ and then the work of friction is equal to μk*FN*d*cosθ

I tried that and ended up with the velocity = 6.1 m/s

is there something I am not seeing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you have to add in friction -- you can do this because friction is a force, so it also does work on the block. First find this work (remember that friction works anti-parallel to displacement, so along the ramp), then you can add it into the net work, and use the work-energy theorem as you were doing.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot seeing that you found the frictional force already, and the work. I think the only problem is the value you used for displacement: you just did the x-component of the displacement, but remember (like I mentioned above) that friction works along the entire distance along the ramp.

jackarms said:
Yes, you have to add in friction -- you can do this because friction is a force, so it also does work on the block. First find this work (remember that friction works anti-parallel to displacement, so along the ramp), then you can add it into the net work, and use the work-energy theorem as you were doing.

didnt i do that in this step μk*FN*d*cosθ?

So in other words,

I would use the hypotenuse instead of the 5.5 m up which was given? I tried that and it didn't work also.

Yes, you would use the hypotenuse, but, I think the 5.5m given in the problem is the hypotenuse. The vertical distance would be the 5.5m then times the sine of the incline. I see how you would think it refers to the vertical distance from the wording, but the key word here is "along", to indicate the distance is the hypotenuse -- or the distance along the sloped ramp instead of just the vertical distance.

Okay. So here are my calculations:

Fn = mgcos(θ) +Fpsin(θ)

=(18 kg)(9.8 m/s2)(cos(32)) + 150sin(32) = 229.08 N

Then,

WFr = (μk)(Fn)(d)(cos(θ))

= (0.14)(229.08)(5.5)(cos(32)) = 149.6

Finally,

Wnet=0.5mv2 OR v=√(2W)/m= 6.1 m/s

Are my calculations wrong? Or did I use a wrong number? The answer I got is not correct.

The problem is the displacement you use to calculate work done by friction. You use [itex]dcos\theta[/itex], but that's just the x-displacement. You have to use the entire displacement along the slope, since friction acts all along that distance. Look at my other post for reference.

So would WFr = (μk)(Fn)(dx)cos(θ))+μk)(Fn)dy(sin(θ))?

Close, but now you're doing it in two separate parts -- one for the x displacement and one for the y displacement, but friction doesn't work in both directions, it only works along the path of motion. Just look right at the problem's givens. How far is the block pushed along the incline?

It's pushed 5.5 m, right?

Yes, that's the distance along the incline, so that's the distance along which friction acts.

but i did that in my original post and the answer was wrong.

No, you're using [itex]dcos\theta[/itex]. It needs to be just [itex]d[/itex].

1. How is work related to the velocity of a block pushed up an incline?

Work is directly related to the velocity of a block pushed up an incline. This is because work is the product of force and displacement, and in this scenario, the force applied to the block is causing it to move up the incline, resulting in displacement. The more work that is done on the block, the greater its velocity will be.

2. Can work be negative in this situation?

Yes, work can be negative in this situation. If the force applied to the block is in the opposite direction of its displacement, then the work done will be negative. This would result in a decrease in the block's velocity as it moves up the incline.

3. How does the angle of the incline affect the velocity of the block?

The angle of the incline will affect the velocity of the block in two ways. First, a steeper incline will require more work to be done on the block in order to push it up, resulting in a higher velocity. Second, a shallower incline will result in less work being done on the block, resulting in a lower velocity.

4. Is the mass of the block a factor in determining its velocity?

Yes, the mass of the block is a factor in determining its velocity. This is because the amount of force required to move an object is directly proportional to its mass. Therefore, a heavier block will require more work to be done on it in order to achieve the same velocity as a lighter block.

5. How can the work-energy theorem be applied to this scenario?

The work-energy theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In this scenario, the work done on the block will result in an increase in its kinetic energy, which is directly related to its velocity. Therefore, the work done on the block can be used to calculate its final velocity using the work-energy theorem.