Bohmian surreal trajectories

In summary: However, it is important to note that the particles and their trajectories are still real in Bohmian mechanics, and the configuration space does not change that. In summary, Bohmian "surreal" trajectories are not a problem for the interpretation and can be understood by considering the role of configuration space in Bohmian mechanics.
olcay
Bohmian "surreal" trajectories

Hi guys...

I have read most of bohmian argument and critics about it here. But unfortunately, I'm an economist, have not a physics B.A.!

I want to ask stg., I'll be grateful if you answer...

I read Englert's argument (ESSW paper) and also replies... But surely, I can not understand the picture. They say Bohm's trajectories is "surrealistic" because with A "which way" experiment, we see the opposite of bohmian prediction. They also say bohm's particle should have been bouncing, but it doesn't. Can anyone tell me what does it mean?

Secondly, All the replies to this paper are talking about "configuration space". I know what is configuration space but I also think, Bohmians always say about reality of particle and trajectories... So, what the -beep- is this 3N configuration space in Bohmian mechanic?

I think you got the point. Please someone explain me what's the critics, and what's the reply?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Surreal trajectories are not a sign of any inconsistency of the Bohmian interpretation. They only show that the Bohmian trajectories may significantly differ what one might naively expect.
A good (somewhat neutral) discussion is given in
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0312227

Concerning the apparent clash with "which way" experiments, the clash is a consequence of the fact that the "which way" experiments are the so called "weak measurements", i.e., they do not really measure the path of the particle. They only measure the final position of the particle, from which one makes an indirect (and somewhat naive) conclusion about the actual path.

The configuration space is important in Bohmian mechanics because it is the simplest way to understand the origin of nonlocality. In fact, in the configuration space Bohmian mechanics is completely local.

Last edited:

1. What is Bohmian surreal trajectories?

Bohmian surreal trajectories, also known as Bohmian mechanics or the de Broglie-Bohm theory, is a theoretical framework in quantum mechanics that proposes a non-local hidden variable theory to explain the behavior of particles. It suggests that particles have definite positions and trajectories, contrary to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

2. How does Bohmian surreal trajectories differ from traditional quantum mechanics?

In traditional quantum mechanics, particles are described by wave functions that evolve over time in a probabilistic manner. However, Bohmian surreal trajectories propose that particles have definite positions and trajectories, and the wave function merely guides the particle along its trajectory.

3. What evidence supports the existence of Bohmian surreal trajectories?

While Bohmian surreal trajectories are still a theoretical framework, some experiments have shown results that align with its predictions. For example, the delayed-choice quantum eraser experiment showed that particles behave as if they have definite positions and trajectories, even when their wave function suggests otherwise.

4. Are there any criticisms of Bohmian surreal trajectories?

One of the main criticisms of Bohmian surreal trajectories is that it violates the principle of locality, which states that an object can only be influenced by its immediate surroundings. Some argue that this theory is not compatible with special relativity and other fundamental principles of physics.

5. How could Bohmian surreal trajectories impact our understanding of the universe?

If Bohmian surreal trajectories were to be proven as a valid theoretical framework, it would drastically change our understanding of the universe at the quantum level. It would suggest that particles have definite positions and trajectories, and that the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics is just a result of our limited understanding and measurement techniques.