1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bohr Quantization with linear potential

1. Jan 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using Bohr's quantization rule find the energy levels for a particle in the potential: $$U(x) = \alpha\left|x\right|, \alpha > 0.$$

2. Relevant equations
    ##\oint p\, dx = 2\pi\hbar (n + \frac{1}{2})##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay so:
    ##\begin{eqnarray}
    \oint p\, dx &= \int \sqrt{2m(E-U(x))}\,dx\\
    &= \int\limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \sqrt{2m(E-\alpha\left|x\right|)}\,dx\\
    &= 2\pi\hbar (n+\frac{1}{2}
    \end{eqnarray}##
    So far, I believe this is correct, but the integral doesn't converge so either im missing something or I've done something wrong. I can't seem to see what it is. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2015 #2
    There's a turning point where the square-root becomes imaginary, that's your upper limit...

4. Jan 27, 2015 #3
    Right I see, so I get the two turning points at $$\pm \sqrt{\frac{E^2}{\alpha^2}}$$ and now its just a matter of evalutating the integral.

5. Jan 27, 2015 #4
    Yes, and the integral is easy to carry out.
    Also, note that it is symmetric about 0 so you can dispose of the absolute value and take twice the integral from 0 to the turning point.

6. Jan 27, 2015 #5
    Thank you for your help. Got an answer of $$E_n = \alpha\left(\frac{3}{2}\frac{\pi\hbar}{\sqrt{2m}}(n+\frac{1}{2})\right)^{2/3}.$$ which seems okay.

7. Jan 27, 2015 #6
    No problem... But i think you want to put this α inside the parenthesis ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted