Bollywood Movies: Thoughts and Experiences

mooberrymarz said:
shahil, you ask how i can not like hindi movies... simple. they are soooo boring and take forever to get to the point. I dont have a lot of patience and am not really into romantic movies...
understood! but monique has a point - the hindi movies ARE suppose to be like that and that's where their power lies. About a year ago, I wouldn't be caught dead watching a hindi movie but once you realise what the movies are trying to portray ie. the good valued themes that they almost always have, then you realise that they are marvellous. With all the cr*p going on the world today (take a trip to the politics forum), its good to know that there is some good existing out there.

As for the long and boring bit - I suggest watching a couple of movies with Aishwariya, Mahima or (as you said earlier) Preity. Watching them for three hours is NO problem with me!! :shy: Thats how I got hooked!!! hehe!

And the patience thing? Hard to believe since you're South African. Waiting for web pages to load up with our beautiful Telkom provided lines should teach anyone how to be patient!!! :wink: :wink: :uhh: :rofl:

Njorl said:
I always regretted the Nehru jacket came and went before my time. :frown: My older brothers had them, and they looked really sharp. For some reason though, they always smelled like pot.

Njorl

Well, the original ones were made of hemp after all!

I think Shahil is right. They're meant to be escapist.

quddusaliquddus said:
I think Shahil is right. They're meant to be escapist.
Agreed! BUT don't right of Bollywood as pure escapism. There have been a lot of really topical and good movies that have come out of Bollwywood. Take what I said earlier "1942-A Love Story" (Oh I forgot to say that although tis movie is 10 years old, the soundtrack is still utterly amazing!) and "Bombay" also with Manish Koirala. Even the modern "Bagbhan" drove home a very good point.

I think that you can't label Bollywood pure escapism. Its a value teaching genre which shows the "goodness" in the world and tries to enforce a moral point. ANd thats where their power lies to me!

Do you guys reckon the Bollywood viewers actually want the same stuff again and again ... or do you reckon people @ bollywood don't know how do anything else. I klnow it's a generalisation - but it's not [Italics]that[Italics] far from the truth: Bolywood gives us the same story again and again - most of the time.

I like bollywood. But they could do sooooooo much better if they wanted/could. Non-typical story is a exception not the rule.

Last edited:
yeah... i do think they cant seem to think of anything new... quite sad really. I think that, the form of escapism that bollywood brings is very unhealthy for people in india(especially the poorer uneducated ones). I've heard some crazy stories of wot happens there, my friend is from tamil nadu and she said that in one rajinikanth film, the movie ended with him dying and his fans burnt the cinema down. ja

however i do think they could do better,..

If it ain't broke - don't fix it!

Even Hollywood (typical that is) uses this formula. By making movies that follow the same pattern as the one's that cme before - you're guarenteed a movie that will make money and become a classic (coz it's following exactly the pattern of a renound classic!)

Alos, as with Hollywood - you get your off-the-track movies (eg. Monsoon Wedding, A Tale Of A Naughty Girl, Fire) which deal with different issues and don't follow Bollywood Movies 101.

At the end it all boils down to a cultural thing. Why do you want Bollywood to change? Is it really necessary for the movies to make "sense?" Why compare a typical Bollywood Feature to a typical Hollywood feature. They are different genre's and why do you want either to resemble the other. It's just not necessary and I think this point should be accepted and not debated! :smile:

Hey i'm not debating. i'm just stating a fact (and answering ququwhatshisnames question) : bollywood movies are a quite retarded. yes, u get fire, and monsoon wedding but I think if I'm going to pay for entertainment... i;d better be getting it. I dont find sharukh's little dilemmas particularly entertaining. And its not a cultural thing. Ever been to India|?, do u have any Indian friends? ( and I dont mean South African indians who dont know the difference between religion and ethnic groups)?? if u have then u'd know wot i'm talking about. I would also not compare bollywood to hollywood, that would be pointless. its all boils down to entertainment and art. And another fact... it is "broke" this is of course my persona view...