Bombardment of Nitrogen-14 with an alpha particle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
agent5514
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Question:
When alpha particles, having kinetic energy 3.0000 MeV bombard nitrogen-14 nuclei, oxygen-17 forms and the reaction releases a proton. Calculate the kinetic energy shared by the reaction products.
Nitrogen-14 = 14.000307 amu
Helium-4 = 4.00260 amu
Oxygen-17 = 16.99913 amu
Proton = 1.00727 amu
1 amu = 931 MeV

Attempt at question:
I cannot derive the textbook answer (1.65 MeV). I found the increase in mass to be 0.00073 amu which equals 0.67963 MeV. I subtract this from 3.0000 MeV, but I got instead 2.32037 MeV. Does anyone know how to obtain the textbook solution? Thanks a lot.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
If you want to calculate the q-value of the reaction you must have a better precision in your atomic mass (see https://www-nds.iaea.org/amdc/ame2016/mass16.txt)
If you take this mass number you will have Q=-1.192 MeV. Q <0 because the reaction is endothermic (threshold reaction)
PSR
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: agent5514