Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bonding analysis at HOMO, could you please give me some hints.

1. Jun 18, 2011 #1
    Hi all,

Currently, I'm reading the paper: Direct to indirect band gap transition in ultrathin ZnO nanowires under uniaxial compression [APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 94, 113114, 2009].

You can download this paper from the following url:

http://h1.ripway.com/zhaohs/Direct ...ansition in ultrathin ZnO nanowires under.pdf

At the top of page 3, the author said:

--------------
    A detailed analysis on the characteristics of atomic orbital contribution of the
    highest occupied molecular orbital (HOMO) shows that
    bonding at Gamma-point is mainly contributed from the O pz and
    Zn dz2 states, with equal components from all the six Zn and
    O in the supercell. For point E and F in Fig. 4, the key
    bonding characteristics are also the O pz and Zn dz2, but from
    only two (L=0.48 nm) or four (L=0.47 nm) Zn and O atoms.
    The analyses indicate that bonding of HOMO at
    Gamma-point is much stronger than that at E or F point. Therefore,
    during uniaxial compression, the energy lowering at Gamma-point
    will be much faster than that at E or F point.
    --------------

But I cann't figure out what calculations should I performed in order to obtain the above information within siesta.

Furthermore, the author said that the bonding are mainly contributed from O pz and Zn dz2. But in my mind, all of the three sub-orbitals of p (px,py, pz) are exactly equivalent, and that is also the case for the five sub-orbitals of d (dz2, dxz, dxy, dx2-y2, dyz). So, how should they know the bonding are mainly contributed from O pz and Zn dz2?

Could you please give me some hints? Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2011 #2

SpectraCat

Science Advisor

Well, I don't know what siesta is .. I guess it's some sort of solid-state computational physics package .. so I'm afraid I can't be much help there.

However, I can perhaps help with your confusion about the spatial orbitals. The spatial orbitals (i.e. px, py, pz, or the 5 d-orbitals) are only "equivalent" (I assume you meant degenerate), when an atom is in isotropic space. In this case, the atoms are participating in a covalent bonding network, and thus are most definitely NOT in isotropic space. As to how the authors know specifically that it is the pz and dz[sup2[/sup] orbitals contributing .. that is one of the things you can keep track of with a computational quantum electronic structure package.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook