Bone CompressionTension problem

• Thread starter shaka23h
  • Start date
In summary, when a bone is subjected to a force of compression, its length decreases by 3.7 x 10-5 m. When the same bone is subjected to a force of equal magnitude in tension, it will stretch by the same amount. The calculation can be simplified to solving for the change in length by setting the two Young's moduli equal to each other.
shaka23h
When subjected to a force of compression, the length of a bone (compression Young's modulus 9.4 x 109 N/m2, tensile Young's modulus 1.6 x 1010 N/m2) decreases by 3.7 x 10-5 m. When this same bone is subjected to a tensile force of the same magnitude, by how much does it stretch

Ok after carefully looking at this problem I realized that the formula that would apply here would be

F = Y (delta L/ L0 ) A

Where y = young's Modulus Delta L = change in length and A = cross sectional area. But after looking at this problem I realized that there is no cross sectional area given, therefore I'm thinking that it is just a proportional problem.

It seems like I'm making this problem a bit harder then it actually is. Perhaps I'm missing something important?

I know that Tensile force is opposite Compression but in this case the answer would not just be the negative change in length right?

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
ya pleaseexplain even i did not understand

force magnitude, initial length and cross sectional area are the same both times. differs only Y and delta L.

ok I got it thanks :) just had to set Y1 delta L = Y2 (x) and solve for X. You see I knew I was thinking about this problem a bit too hard LOL.

What is bone compression and tension?

Bone compression and tension refer to the forces that act on bones, which can either compress or stretch them. These forces are crucial for maintaining the strength and structure of bones.

What causes bone compression and tension?

Bone compression and tension can be caused by various factors, such as physical activity, body weight, and muscle contractions. These forces are necessary for normal bone growth and development.

How do bone compression and tension affect bone health?

Bone compression and tension are essential for maintaining bone health. Without these forces, bones can become weaker and more prone to fractures. Adequate levels of compression and tension help bones to stay strong and healthy.

What happens if there is too much bone compression and tension?

If there is too much bone compression or tension, it can lead to bone damage or injury. This can occur in conditions such as osteoporosis or stress fractures. It is important to maintain a balance of these forces for optimal bone health.

How can bone compression and tension be measured?

Bone compression and tension can be measured using techniques such as bone density scans or biomechanical analyses. These methods can provide information on the strength and structure of bones, which can help assess their overall health.