Book about math techniques in physics

  • Thread starter Thread starter bentley4
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Book Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
bentley4
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
Hello everyone,

Does anybody know a good book with the sole purpose of showing the use of mathematical techniques in physics?(technique by technique and with examples of real applications)
e.g.: Identity matrices are commonly used in x type of problems in physics, etc.

Like most people my interest in something is dramatically heightened when I know why I can use something for, same thing with math in physics.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Boas- Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences.
 
Thnx Brocks,

The explanation of the math seems really good in this book.
However, it does not tell you where the concepts are used for in physics.
What I am looking for is something more like a list:

Fourier series: to solve the heat equation, ...

Also the other way around:
In the field of classical electromagnetism the following math concepts/topics are extensively used: Vector calculus, complex numbers,...
 
I'm putting in a second vote for Boas. Just used it for a class this term and it was excellent!