1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book of Mathematical Theorems and Formulas?

1. Jan 24, 2009 #1
    I'm looking for a giant tome on every theorem and formula. If it had more, that would be awesome, but I'm just looking for one giant book to use as a reference. I prefer to learn theorems and formulas after learning how they were discovered, but I also want a "scope" of what's available out there. For example, I had never knew that Pappus's Centroid Theorem had existed until I google'd it. Although I knew the concepts in Pappus's Centroid Theorem, I had never knew that it had a formal name. Thus, I want a book (or a gigantic tome) filled with every possible formula, theorem, etc. It can be dense or condense. If it were dense, I'd digest it on my spare time, as I find joy reading proofs. :D Just one big big big big mathematics book for reference! I look at the Princeton Companion to Mathematics and it seemed bad.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2
    Two things come to mind.

For basic reference, I turn to Schaum's Mathematical Handbook. For some deeper analysis of topics I have Boas "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences."

For comprehensive reference, Eric Weisstein's creation (now Wolfram's) Mathworld is a fantastic reference. I can spend as much time there as I can on Wikipedia just for entertainment. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?