Book recommendation - Mech. Eng.

Hi everyone,

I'm currentyly doing my master in Control Systems (mechanical engineering), and since I'm nearly graduating I was contemplating at what I've learned so far. Upon doing so, I realized that there where some areas I seriously lack knowledge in areas that I assume are important.

Therefore, I was wandering if someone could recommend me a book regarding:

* Numerical Methods
I often use the matlab ODE solvers, but I've no idea what's "under the hood". Hence, I'm looking for a book to bolster my numerical method skills, one that can teach me what's inside such a solver and how to build one myself (for when the matlab licence expires).

* Partial Differential Equations
Since almost everything I model, before simplification, is a PDE, I think a basic knowledge is advisable. Even if only to simulate the system and check that the simplification is indeed justified. Apart from that, I'm just very interested in this topic :-)

Although googeling for books have yielded many results, I do not know which one suits my need/level, so that's why I'm looking for recommedations from engineers.

With kind regards,
Jo

Answers and Replies

I like old books, and I would recommend Hildebrand's Numerical Analysis book.

ODE and PDE solvers are very problem-dependent; their numerical behavior can vary to a large extent depending on particular physical properties on the original model. If, for example, you are interested in modeling of plates and/or shells, their mathematical models are often described by biharmonic PDEs. A special numerical method exists for such cases, call the Finite Element Method. You may want to have a look at the following book:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~comecau/quad_shell.htm
There is also a page on amazon.com devoted to that book, with reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0646930818/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator: