1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Book recommendation - Mech. Eng.

1. Mar 21, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone,

I'm currentyly doing my master in Control Systems (mechanical engineering), and since I'm nearly graduating I was contemplating at what I've learned so far. Upon doing so, I realized that there where some areas I seriously lack knowledge in areas that I assume are important.

Therefore, I was wandering if someone could recommend me a book regarding:

* Numerical Methods
    I often use the matlab ODE solvers, but I've no idea what's "under the hood". Hence, I'm looking for a book to bolster my numerical method skills, one that can teach me what's inside such a solver and how to build one myself (for when the matlab licence expires).

* Partial Differential Equations
    Since almost everything I model, before simplification, is a PDE, I think a basic knowledge is advisable. Even if only to simulate the system and check that the simplification is indeed justified. Apart from that, I'm just very interested in this topic :-)

Although googeling for books have yielded many results, I do not know which one suits my need/level, so that's why I'm looking for recommedations from engineers.

With kind regards,
    Jo

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2015 #2
    I like old books, and I would recommend Hildebrand's Numerical Analysis book.

4. Mar 31, 2015 #3
    ODE and PDE solvers are very problem-dependent; their numerical behavior can vary to a large extent depending on particular physical properties on the original model. If, for example, you are interested in modeling of plates and/or shells, their mathematical models are often described by biharmonic PDEs. A special numerical method exists for such cases, call the Finite Element Method. You may want to have a look at the following book:
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~comecau/quad_shell.htm
    There is also a page on amazon.com devoted to that book, with reviews:
    https://www.amazon.com/Computational-Geometry-Surfaces-Application-Analysis/dp/0646930818

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted